Friday, September 25, 2009

Who's @ Work?


"A servant of a human master works for his master. God, however, works through His servants." - Henry Blackaby

This is one of the most difficult concepts to grasp. Rather than looking at what we can do for God, we should only see what God can do through us.

Who can preach a message? Who can share the Gospel? Who can make a difference in the world? It's not what we do...It's what He does! What do we learn from Zech. 4:6? It's not by might, not by power, but by My Spirit says the Lord! That sounds familiar doesn't it? Eph. 3:20 "according to the power at work in us." If there is a principle that God is trying to teach us through is Word is that it's not about us!

What we do doesn't make the difference but what He does through us. Please understand that God is not looking for your ability but availability. He's looking for someone whom He can pour Himself into...someone who will carry His work in their life out into the world. The world doesn't need better preachers, better thinkers, better workers, or a better message. What the world needs is believers who will place themselves in the hands of the Potter and ask Him to mold them into the vessel that He wants them to be.

Here's what I am discovering: I cannot be the parent I "need" to be but I can allow God to parent through me. I cannot be the husband I "need" to be but I can allow God to love my wife through me. I cannot be the pastor I "need" to be but I can allow God to feed and lead through me. If I could lose this "need" mentality and recognize that it's not about what I do then maybe (just maybe) I can allow God to move in and do it.

I wish that I could tell you that I have mastered this approach. I wish that I could say that in every area of life I have allowed God to equip me but the fact is that I'm still learning. Sometimes this experiment goes bad. It's not God's fault...it's mine. Thank God for grace!

Maybe we can learn to do this together. D.L. Moody heard a phrase that changed his life: "The world has yet to see what God can accomplish in a life that is completely surrendered to Him." D.L. took this challenge and sought to give himself completely to the will of His master. He looked to God to complete His work through Him rather than with Him. The result? D.L. Moody has become one of the most recognized evangelists the world had ever seen.

Almighty God,
Too often when I look at my life all I see is me. I see my failures, my attempts to be who You want me to be gone wrong. I ask that You equip me in every area. I ask that You accomplish through me what You desire. Help me to set aside my agenda for yours. Help me to empty myself so that You may fill me - in every area, every place, every time.
In Jesus' Name
Amen

No comments: