Thursday, September 10, 2009

Spiritual Leadership


{If you want to hear more about the missionaries we are praying for you can scroll to the bottom of this blog}

I woke up this morning with a lot of things on my mind. Thinking about our missionaries overseas, and thinking about some different things in regards to the church that I'm fortunate enough to pastor. I paused to pick up "Spiritual Leadership" by Henry Blackaby. I have been working my way through this book for some time. Some of the church people may think that I need to go through this process a little faster! Anyway, let me share with you how God used this today.

I opened the book to the chapter titled "The Leader's Goal." I read through the first page with great ease and headed to the 2nd page that had this heading: "Unworthy Goals" and "Bottom Line Mentality". I didn't have to read any further before God began to speak to my heart.

As a church body - what is our bottom line?

Is our bottom line going to be the budget?
Is our bottom line going to be the building?
Is our bottom line going to be the attendance?
Is our bottom line going to be the influence we have in a certain denomination?

WHAT IS OUR BOTTOM LINE?

Our bottom line is: RELATIONSHIPS

All decisions should be based on a relationship with God and others. All ministry should be based upon a relationship with God and others. All financial matters should be based upon a relationship with God and others. Our bottom line isn't how much we can put in a CD or Savings Account but by how much we have invested in people! Our bottom line isn't going to be determined by how many messengers we can send to a convention but how many missionaries we can put on the field! Our bottom line isn't about the numbers we have to show but how many people were saved! And for me (as a pastor) this is an exciting bottom line.

This is in direct opposition to how many churches think. In my sermon "Dangers of Religion" I said that it's easy for us to focus on the organization instead of focusing on intimacy with God. We can become focused on programs rather than the process of becoming more like Jesus. The point is that we can have the wrong bottom line.

I just finished up a conversation with one of our church attenders (not members yet). It's nothing unusual for me to sit and have conversations like this on a weekly basis. Lunch with one person, a visit from another, a chat with one on the phone, a chat through email or facebook with another. If I have the wrong bottom line it would be easy to see these things as distraction in my day. However, I have found that as a pastor I have one goal to pursue - one item to focus on - and it's the people that God has allowed me to minister to and with. And I am finding out more and more that God is pleased when I allow myself to be open to share with others, spend time with others, love others, care for others, and minister to others.

What's your bottom line?

***Note on missionary family we have been praying for***
The family was still at home this morning. A US Doctor had actually spoken with them and encouraged them to watch and wait. Thus far there has been no change and the wife is doing as well as can be expected. They are looking for a good antibiotic that will be safe for the baby. Other than that, they know that God is caring for them in this process. Thanks for praying & keep it up.

No comments: