Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Things that I'm Thinking About (a.k.a. Random Thoughts)


So many things to think about...so little time to investigate them all.

> I guess Obama is going to go ahead and make his address to school children? He said that this would be the most transparent administration that our country has ever seen. Why then do we have to look so hard, ask so many questions, and wait until someone leaks info before we know what's going on? Why don't parents know what this man is getting ready to tell their children? Why didn't I receive some information about this? The statement from the White House is that this is not intended to be political. LOL. Everything this man does is political!

> Preached this past Sunday on "The Dangers of Religion." I think for the most part that the people in our church "get it." However, I wonder what goes on inside of us that makes it so easy to fall into a religious mindset? You would think that the rebel inside of us would fight it. We didn't seem to mind rebelling when we were lost. Why not now? Why do we accept religion over relationship? Could it be...maybe we don't understand who we are in Christ. Therefore, we find comfort in the practice of religion. I don't know! But what I find interesting are the people who love to hear things that rattle their cage. They like to know that there is more to faith than just going through the motions.

> Men's Conference coming up this Saturday. I'm looking forward to this. I jokingly call it the "Manly Conference." Why? Well, one reason is because we want to celebrate being a man of God, a leader in the home, a mentor to a son, a protector for a daugther, and a lover to a wife. We don't do this by softening them up - no I hope to see them flex their faith muscles. I hope to see a group of barbarians ready to run out of the building to conquer!

> Football season is here! Can I really add anything to that?

> I was walking through a Christian bookstore the other day and became increasingly frustrated. I was frustrated with all the different books. Don't get me wrong - I love to read. What was frustrating was how many books are unnecessary. If we would simply pick up our Bibles and read what is inside, ask the Spirit for understanding, and seek to go deeper in what we read then we wouldn't need a book on how to live the Christian life. Too often we are getting somebody else's opinion on God's Word instead of getting it straight from the Author Himself. Can God not teach me how to evangelize, pray, be a disciple, etc.? Look at what the early church was able to accomplish WITHOUT A BIBLE and we complain about not understanding what God is saying. WAKE UP CHRISTIANS - God has given you the Holy Spirit to guide you into all truth, to convict you when you are wrong, and to remind you of the words that Jesus spoke. There isn't a book being published today that can do any of those things!

> Let's hit this religion thing again. I'm getting ready to mess with somebody!
Why do we have a problem with tatttoos but don't say a word about earings (unless it's on a man) or makeup?
Why do we complain about long hair on a man but say little about short hair on a woman?
Why are preachers so ready to pounce on "Rock" music but don't have much to say about "Country"?
Why do the same people who argue about new translations of the Bible use commentaries in their study of the Word?
Why are some churches so bothered by "Casual Sunday" but embarce "Old Timey Sunday"? I mean is there a difference in wearing jeans and a shirt instead of bibs and a bonnet?
Why do we complain about people drinking a beer with their meal saying they are a stumbling block but never question eating pork chops in public?
How can we say that we promote family life in the church when we have them at the building at least 3 times a week (and complain when they don't show up)? I'm not saying it's wrong to have services but I do think it's a question worth asking.

> O.K. I'm done for now. However, before I go let me say one more thing. I know that I have posted some controversial things today. The purpose isn't to change your mind...but I would like to change your thinking. It's o.k. to have an original thought every now and then. The problem with the religious mindset is that we can't seem to break away from the things that have been delivered to us through dogma. "Well, the preacher said..." Folks, just because the preacher said it don't make it true. Look it up for yourself. And as far as the things that I posted to stir your mind, here's some scripture to look over:
"Receive one who is weak in the faith, but not to dispute over doubtful things. For one believes he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats only vegetables. Let no him who eats despise him who does not eat, and let not him who does not eat judge him who eats; for God has received him. Who are you to judge another's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand. One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks...So then each of us shall give account of himself to God. Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather resolve this, not to put a stumbling block or a cause to fall in our brother's way." Romans 14:1-6, 12-13

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed all of that. I'm the type that wants to be perfect in all that I do and frankly feel let down when I mess up. To really get "it" knowing that God is after relationship not a "grade" is truly Freedom. If we ever get to the point of realizing that we "ALL" are created by God and that is mercy and grace are sufficient, is there nothing we can't do? I thank God for loving me and forever forgiving me. I can't live up to him, so he came down to me. Man thats good.

KD

Neal Hawks said...

KD,
I think we all want that. We all want to know that God loves us, His grace is able to forgive, that God can handle it when I mess up, and that God gives us freedom.
It's up to the church to get that message out. Not a "feel good" Gospel, but just the truth of what God offers us who come by faith.
Thanks for sharing.

Scot said...

There is nothing we do that can make God love us more. There is nothing we do that can make Him love us any less. It is our response to Him and His Word that causes us to love Him more or less because 2 Timothy 2:13 says that even if we are unfaithful, He will remain faithful because He can not deny who He is. Notice how His view/ treatment is not affected by our accomplishments for Him? Love Him....won't you?!?!