Tuesday, June 2, 2009

I Confess


According to a recent article the Vatican is lamenting that many faithful no longer confess their sins. Some of the priests even believe that people within the Catholic church confuse a psychologist's couch for a confessional booth.

The Vatican is set to release a handbook to "drum up enthusiasm" for the sacrament!

*Today's sign that the Apocalypse is upon us.

Should I be surprised? I guess if I had been raised Catholic I would feel a little different. Maybe if I would have grown up believing that confession was actually a "sacrament" - which it is not - I could understand the worry among Catholic priests. However, since I believe that I have direct access to God and can make my prayers known unto Him (even my confessions) it's not quite as shocking.

There is a concern over the spiritual apathy that we see among "church goers" in the world. Why aren't Catholics confessing? Is it due to a lack of understanding in their own faith, a decline in morality among the "faithful", or is it because they don't experience a change after they have confessed? It could be the "Hail Marys" and the community service that is getting to them. Or maybe it's due to the busyness of individual schedules. Can't we just Twitter our confessions?

Please understand that I'm not making light of the spiritual concern of Catholics. I have felt for a long time that confession in the Catholic church is a lost cause. If they would teach the people that they have direct access to God rather than assigning that role to a saint, priest, cardinal, and Mary - they might see a change. Or maybe if they could get all of the junk out of the priesthood they would have more people willing to come and tell all.

I'm so thankful that 1 John 1:9 teaches me that if I confess my sins, God is faithful and just to forgive my sins and cleanse my of all my unrighteousness. What if, in the Christian church, we decided to have confessional booths? I only know of one individual who would attend regularly (this person is a converted Catholic). Although I believe it's important for people to experience conviction and remorse, I don't believe that coming to a priest and asking them to forgive you is a means of reconciliation, salvation, or restoration. Only when we come before God can we experience His forgiveness, His mercy, and His peace.

In the end: I don't know of anyone who will be "enthusiastic" about confession.

3 comments:

Scot said...

Until that priest dies fo my sins I have no reason to confess them to him. Until that day comes (never) I will continue confessing them to the Great High Priest that sits on the Mercy Seat interceeding for me already. He DID die for my sins. The Lamb IS worthy! Quit saying father forgive me to another flawed human and say Father forgive me to the One who has already forgiven you! Selah

Scot said...

I would also challenge any priest to explain their role as a mediator after reading 1 Timothy 2:5,6 out loud to me.
1 Timothy 2:5,6
5 For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus,
6 who gave Himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time

if a man tells me he is my mediator, then He must be Christ Jesus.

Anonymous said...

Scot is on fire!