Thursday, June 4, 2009

I Just Showed Up for My Own Life


A couple of years ago I bought my wife a documentary about Sarah Groves. The DVD is called "I Just Showed Up for My Own Life" and it follows Sarah's journey in relief efforts for Katrina victims and to Rwanda where she visited the site of the horrible genocide a few years ago.

It's a truly amazing journey...one that is life changing. There are some great quotes that come out of Sarah's experience that I would love to share. In the DVD she talks about her need to keep her kids from seeing the evil that goes on in this world. However, after he journey she believes that all her kids have ever seen is her hugging the wall. She goes on to say that she doesn't want that anymore. She wants them to see her with her head back - running!

One other quote: "I want the wick to be gone. I want the wax to be gone. I want to have burned down to the ground when my story is over."

This last quote is typical for any and all who are willing to participate in missions. How can we ever go into areas that need spiritual, physical, emotional, or financial help and not come away with the understanding that there is more that we can give. We can give more of our time, our resources, OURSELVES to advance the kingdom of God. Do you want to have burned down?

A great song was also birthed out of the Rwanda experience called "I Saw What I Saw":

I saw what I saw and I can't forget it
I heard what I heard and I can't go back
I know what I know and I can't deny it

Something on the road, cut me to the soul

Your pain has changed me
your dream inspires
your face a memory
your hope a fire
your courage asks me what I'm afraid of
(what I am made of)
and what I know of love

we've done what we've done and we can't erase it
we are what we are and it's more than enough
we have what we have but it's no substitution

Something on the road, touched my very soul

I say what I say with no hesitation
I have what I have and I'm giving it up
I do what I do with deep conviction

Something on the road, changed my world

I hope that all of us can say "I have what I have and I'm giving it up!!!" I think it's time for every believer to show up for their own life...and then give it away.

1 comment:

Scot said...

Christ gave His life for ours first!
How can we not give our life to the One (or His children)that gave His life FOR ours?

To love Him is to love them!