Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Daily Concerns


What started out as a day of celebration ended up being an evening of concern. This past Saturday during Hayden's birthday party there was an accident and he walked out of it with a broken right arm. I have to give it to him...it was nasty. After going to the ER we found out that he had broken both bones just below his wrist and it would require surgery to fix. We left WCCH late that evening and drove to Radford. Sunday morning around 8:30 am (something like that) Hayden was taken back for surgery. Thankfully, the doctor was able to do a closed reduction which meant that he wouldn't require pins, screws, or plates.

Needless to say, all of this has produces a little stress in our lives. We were given doctor's orders to keep him as immobile as possible {you do realize my son is 9?} and to keep his arm elevated. He's not even supposed to move his right arm without first grabbing with his left. Hayden is doing well and we trust that God will allow him to heal quickly.

It would be really easy to enter into pity party mode through all of this. You know, "Why me?" or "Why now?", but I have come to realize that IT COULD BE MUCH WORSE. I could be the parent of a child taking chemo seeing no results from treatment. I could be trying to care for a dying parent. I could be going to the hospital everyday for dialysis. There are so many more problems that we could have in life. So as for me and my house, we are truly blessed.

If you read 2 Corinthians 11:28 you will come across these words, "besides the other things, what comes upon my daily: my deep concern for all the churches." Paul wrote these words to the Corinthian believers after he had shared accounts of being beaten by rods, being stoned and shipwrecked. He also spoke of weariness, toil, sleeplessness, hunger, thirst, fasting, cold, and nakedness. Added to all of that, Paul said, was his deep concern for ALL the churches. In other words, Paul never had a day off from the daily concerns of life. News Flash: neither do you.

Why do you think God's Word teaches us to be anxious for nothing but in all things by prayer and supplication to make our requests known unto the Lord. God knows that we will have daily concerns and he teaches us to take those concerns to Him. When we don't make this a habit of daily life that is when we become anxious. I'm going to say something that may sound a little strange but it is true: God is in control even if my son breaks his arm. What do I have to be anxious about? It's not easy but God has been with us every step of the way.

I thank all of you for praying for Hayden. He definitely has a story to tell about his 9th birthday. Jennifer and I are appreciative of the phone calls, cards, gifts, etc. Hayden will be healed in a few weeks and our lives will return to some normalcy. In the meantime we will acknowledge God's sovereignty in our lives and keep on living for His kingdom.

May you experience His peace today as you turn all of your daily concerns over to His grace.

***After reading this blog entry, please take time to participate in the poll just under the ABC's of salvation.***

No comments: