Wednesday, August 6, 2008

I'm Thinking...

Various thoughts are running through my mind today. So allow me to share with you a couple of them.

First off, you need to read this article:
http://stiffrightjab.com/2008/08/04/fischer-outrage-in-idaho-feds-send-man-to-prison-for-protecting-town-from-flooding/
It's very lengthy and infuriating but I think it's important for you to know how our judicial system can be hijacked by activist judges.

Secondly, I want to talk about a "Recovery Reunion" that was held at my home this past Sunday evening. It was a cookout for a group of individuals who completed the first "Celebrate Recovery" small group program at our church. "Celebrate Recovery" is an umbrella program to help people recover from their hurts, habits, & hang-ups. In other words - recovery for people who are dealing with past issue, current addictions, and other various issues.

Why am I talking about this group? Simply because they encourage me. I witnessed a diverse group of people with various issues meet together weekly to talk about those things, get the help they needed, and overcome. And all of this was done in a church setting. That's right! A church setting.

Does anyone out there realize the bravery it took to sit in a recovery program led by their pastor and joined by other church members? Not only that but to hope that they will remain anonymous and confidentiality will be kept. But that's exactly what happened. So, after a brief period away from each other I gathered this group together to see and hear about their progress and to have some fun time together. It was a blast!

Allow me to encourage churches and pastors to find ways to minister to individuals just like these. Sure, it's hard work but well worth the time and energy. I have seen these people take great strides in their personal lives and in their walk with Christ. I believe that the decision to do a recovery ministry will prove very beneficial for those who were involved and our church.

Last of all, I want to mention the upcoming Olympics in China. What a show the Chinese government is putting on for the outside world. They are working on how their country looks to outsiders, relates to one another, etc. Essentially they are going to try and portray to the world that Communism makes a country better. However, they continue to have problems with reporters who want to share information, athletes who want to be expressive, and overall freedom issues. Why is it that Chinese officials feel the need to make these changes. If Communism is so great then why don't they just let you come in and out to see what is so wonderful? I'll tell you why - Communism doesn't work!

The best thing we can do is pray for China. Let's pray that their eyes would be opened to the truth. Let's pray that they will be open to the Gospel. And while we are at it we need to pray for the believers in China who will more than likely come under much more scrutiny during these days.

No comments: