Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Life - Let's Celebrate


Well, after a couple of weeks of trying to minister to those who are near death, today I was able to celebrate new life!

We have a couple in our church (E&E) who celebrated the birth of their first child today! Mom, baby, & dad are all doing well. As for me...it was a great reminder of the joy of new birth.

As a pastor I often minister to both ends of the spectrum. I minister to those who are near death and families who have lost loved ones, however, I also get to be among those who are overjoyed at the birth of a child. It's the same approach from a ministry standpoint. You go into a room with great care for those there and you do what you can to reassure them of God's peace & presence. But the "feelings" are very different.

As I type this I'm reminded of the words that God spoke through the Apostle Paul: "For we are to God the fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing. To the one we are the aroma of death leading to death, and to the other the aroma of life leading to life." 2 Corinthians 2:15-16.

What does that mean? To put it simply - to those who know Jesus we are a fragrance of life and to those who don't know Jesus we are the fragrance of death. Sure, you may take the same approach to minister to people but the "feeling" is often different. There is just something about life. When I am around someone who knows Jesus and are full of life it is exhilarating. But if I didn't know Jesus it would just bother me. Ever been there?

That's why it's hard for people who don't know Jesus to be around those who are full of life in Him. Maybe that's why when I do weddings & stuff that no one except the few from my church want to be around me.

Do I stink? I hope so!

Go out dear brothers and sisters and be the aroma of Christ to the world. Remember this: You may not smell great to those around you but in the nostrils of God you are the sweet smell of a living sacrifice. You are the aroma of Jesus.

2 comments:

Launch International said...

I don't remember a stinch from you at our wedding!

It's funny how too often we worry about whether we put enough deodorant on for the day so we won't smell funny around others yet we don't put on the garment of praise so that we will be that sweet smelling aroma of praise the Father. I wonder what we smell like to HIM when we don't give him our hearts of worship each day...talk about a stinch!

Anonymous said...

You are exactly right about people not wanting to be around people that have Christ around them. I have to admit that sometimes when I am not living the life that God has called me to live I shy away as well. But being around you guys and God's people is special and it is uplifting. I can now blog, how cool is that. Watch out!!!

Kevin