Friday, August 29, 2008

Yes - I read "The Shack" - and loved it!


This past Sunday I recommended a book for people to read. "The Shack", written by William Young, was given to me as a gift and must admit that it was a great piece of fictional literature. I looked at a couple of short reviews before reading (a common practice with unknown authors) but did not realize the controversy that surrounds the book. Actually there are mixed reviews, which is one of the reasons I have chosen to share my own.

Before I get into my own thoughts I want to tell you what I told our church. I explained that this book will cause them to question some of their own concepts about God and to not be alarmed by the humanity nor the divinity within the book. Why did I say all of that? Simply put: many Christians have a hard time enjoying a book for the story it tells. Sure, if I were the author, there would be a greater emphasis in many areas. For instance: Jesus (in the book) should have said, "I'm the only way" rather than "the best way". One could argue He's the best way because He is the only way but why argue on that point. I have already read reviews from people who consider the book to be heresy and others who consider it to contain sound theology. This book is not meant to be a textbook in theology, however, theology is very present throughout. The best thing for people to do is read the book, compare it to scripture, and pray for discernment. By the way - I encourage that with all books. Too often we read a book and treat it as truth. The only book in the world that contains TRUTH is the Word of God.

The Shack is a compelling story of a man who has endured great tragedy in his life. "The Great Sadness" is mentioned several times and seen as a cloak that comes over Mack (main character). Long story short, The Shack is basically about a man who goes to a shack to meet with God. It's a wonderful picture of finding God in the midst of your pain. I often found myself with Mack trying to make sense of the scene that unfolds before me - spending time with the Godhead, recognizing my own limited view of God, Jesus, & Holy Spirit, being amazed at the lessons of love - forgiveness - relationship, and in the end being changed throughout the whole process.

Some people don't like the idea of being changed after reading a book other than the Bible. But let me ask a question: How often have we been changed after hearing a sermon? Does God not use people to give us insight into biblical truth? Does God not use the understanding of others to often challenge us in our own thinking? Let me give you a good example of this from my own experience. Had I listened to some of the influences in my life I would not have read "The God Chasers". However, God used the book to spark a passion in me to seek the face of God. This is a time of my life that I look back upon with gratitude because of what God accomplished in me. My life was changed...not because of a book but because of the work of the Holy Spirit. In the same way I can say that God used this book to challenge me in my own limited thinking. There were times I found myself pushed to the edge only to come away with some wonderful insight into the nature and essence of God that I had never seen. Not only that, but God used this book to enhance my relationship with my wife, my children, and others. How? It forced me to look at relationships from a different perspective. Sure I knew these truths. I understood that my first priority is found in loving God with all my heart, soul, and mind while also loving my neighbor as myself. However, have you ever thought that when we live in relationship with God then we can allow that relationship to trickle down to everyone else?

I would love to go into greater detail about some of the things I took away from this reading, as well as some of the controversy that is out there but I don't want to give away any of the plot right now. If you have read the book and would like to ask some questions then feel free to post a comment. You can also go to the Shack Forum and ask questions/post comments about particular chapters.

In the end just allow me to say this: Read the book. Find out for yourself why this book is refreshing, enlightening, and challenging. If anything it will prompt each of us to discuss matters of faith and to dive deeper into the Word of God for the answers. I also encourage you to finish the book if you start it. This book is like a big puzzle that isn't put together until the end.

*I am going out of town next week. If you do leave some questions I will answer them when I get back.

No comments: