Thursday, July 31, 2008

Oh, the news...

Try to take a few days off and there is no possible way to keep up with the news. So...in keeping with my last blog entry, I have some political interests.

Before we get into the subject I want to remind everyone that these blog entries are my own and do not represent a "church stance". I also am not allowed to endorse a particular candidate from the pulpit. However, I CAN and WILL give you my opinion on some of the items going on.

The latest and most interesting thing I have found is Obama saying in a speech that McCain & Bush (not sure how Bush got involved with this - or does Obama feels as though he has to link the 2 together?) will try to SCARE voters (scare tactics is a wonderful term used by liberals who cannot win with their own ideas). He said that they would say, "...(he)doesn't look like all those other presidents on the dollar bills." WOW! I wonder what the media would be saying if the other side had used this type of rhetoric? McCain's camp has come out to say that Obama has played the race card and he did it by playing from the bottom of the deck.

There is no doubt that this race for the presidency has now turned to a question of race. I wondered how long Obama would keep the color of his skin from entering the dialogue, but in reality it's been about race for some time. He can thank his "pastor" for that! All right...let's try to get to the bottom of this. According to the Obama team he was not referring to race but rather was saying that he did not take the same approach. My dad always told me to "say what I mean and mean what I say." If that is what Obama meant then why didn't he say that? No - he was talking about looks. He doesn't look like them because he's not like them. It was a definite reference to the fact that he is black.

Folks, I'm o.k. with that. If Obama wants to make this about race then by all means do it. Just don't apologize or try to politicize your way out of it. This man's biggest problem is that he can't ever seem to say what he means. When he talks about "change" what does he mean? When he talks about the fact that he doesn't look like all those presidents on the dollar bills what does he mean? When he talks about troop surges not working but then says that they work what does he mean? It seems to me that Obama needs a translator to interpret every speech that he gives so that the true meaning can be given to all who listen. BTW - there is only 1 president on the dollar bill. There are other presidents on different types of bills ($5, $10, etc.). But I'm sure he didn't mean to single any other denominations of currency.

This is going to be one of the most interesting elections in many years. I'm very curious how all of this will be played out. If you want to talk about scare tactics I have a few questions (and they do play on our fears), Who is the candidate that will ensure the safety of America? Who is the candidate that will do what's necessary to keep our troops with the necessary funding? Which candidate will do what is necessary to make America energy independent? Which one will ensure that America doesn't bow down to every other country in the world? Which one will do the job of limiting spending in government and protecting the wages (money which is earned) of the American people? Which candidate will protect the rights of Americans as defined in the Constitution? Those are the real questions.

I don't care if the new president doesn't look like those on our currency. There aren't too many people walking around with powdered wigs on anymore anyway. I do care that our president does what is necessary to defend the individual rights of the people of this nation AND to ensure the collective safety of every individual in the United States.

What "scares" me about this election is that it will become about something that it is not. In the end - it may very well be just that. Believers need to pray for God's divine direction and appointment during this political year. Yes...it's that important.

No comments: