Thursday, July 24, 2008

Ezekiel's Lesson

Ezekiel 33:30-32, "As for you, son of man, the children of your people are talking about you beside the walls and in the doors of the houses; and they speak to one another, everyone saying to his brother, 'Please come and hear what the word is that comes from the Lord.' So they come to you as people do, they sit before you as My people, and they hear your words, but they do not do them; for with their mouth they show much love, but their hearts pursue their own gain. Indeed you are to them as a very lovely song of one who has a pleasant voice and can play well on an instrument; for they hear your words, but they do not do them."

What a lesson for the preacher of God's Word! It's hard to think that I can actually be in a position of speaking God's Word only to find out that I'm nothing more than a lovely song. But isn't that the way it is in many churches today? Oh, how people love to hear "good" preaching! I know this all too well. How many times I have missed opportunities for God to move in my life because I didn't like the delivery or didn't think the messenger was all that I thought he could be.

We must come to the understanding that when God's Word is being preached there is no right or wrong way to communicate unless our communication is nothing more than a tickling of the ears. Preachers can actually become enemies of the cross when all they concern themselves with is their style of delivery. Paul said that he did not come with persuasive words of man's wisdom but with power. What's lacking in our churches is not the ability to communicate but the anointing of power. I know all too well the temptation to make a sermon sound a certain way, or to end a message with the right kind of story. It's part of the tools of our trade. But we are not merchants or salesmen and our "job" is not to sell a sermon. Our job is to be a mouthpiece for God.

Now, don't think that I'm going to let the listener off the hook. How many times have we closed our ears and our hearts because the speaker wasn't what we desired? How many times have we walked away from a message and didn't think it was entertaining enough? I keep waiting for people to come into a service with a drink and some popcorn because all they did was come to see the show. Dear friends, church is not meant to be entertainment...church is meant to be the collection of God's people to worship Him. If anyone is entertained it should be God. We should bring to Him the sacrifice of praise, the brokenness of our Spirit, our raised hands and voices, and they willingness to go where He leads.

I didn't share all the verses with you in the beginning. In verse 33 of chapter 33 God says, "And when this comes to pass - surely it will come - then they will know that a prophet has been among them." In other words God is saying, When these people see all that you are preaching come to pass in their lives (and it will) they will finally understand that I had a voice among them. The job of the preacher is to preach the Word of God. The job of the hearer is to obey the voice of the Lord.

What have you heard recently that excited your spirit but never moved you to change?

2 comments:

Chris said...

Frequently, I here a message from at church on tv/radio and the message really hits home. Then once a few hours or sometimes minutes go by the thought or message disappears from my mind and I continue on with my normal routine. Then there is the rare occasion that I start to make changes, and re-define my routine, but yet again. I slip back into old habits.... Love the Lord unquestionably, but only have the motivation to move in short burst's...

Neal Hawks said...

Christopher,
I understand your position. I think each of us can struggle with putting to practice those things which "hit home".
Paul said that he took care to consider himself so that after preaching he would not find himself a castaway.
Keep forgetting those things which are behind and reaching to those things which are ahead. Press toward the mark.