Thursday, July 8, 2010

Spiritual Inspection


"Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me, and know my anxieties; And see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." (Psalm 139:23-24)

It's that time of year again. Well...at least it was for me. State Inspection Sticker was due and (like usual) I procrastinated. Anybody else fall into this category? I waited until the last minute only to find out that my truck needed front brake pads. My vehicle was denied a new sticker and because I procrastinated I had to make another appointment to have the brakes installed. I was given a nice PINK rejection sticker - placed upon my windshield for all to see - until I could get the truck fixed and a new Inspection Sticker in place.

As I reflected upon this I couldn't help but think about how we tend to go through life without ever stopping to inspect ourselves. Where are we spiritually? Is there anything lacking? Is there something that the Lord has spoken that I haven't followed through with?

When it comes to my vehicles, I try to pay attention to how they handle. There wasn't anything about my brakes that made me think they needed to be replaced. With that being said, I can't tell you the last time that I inspected them.

David cried out to God in Psalm 139 by saying: "Search me..." Are we willing to be placed under God's searchlight? "Try me..." - I find this request rather interesting because He goes on to say "...know my anxieties." God is there anything that is causing me to not trust in you? "And see if there is any wicked way in me..." The Living Bible Paraphrase says "See if there is anything in me that makes you sad." In other words: Is there anything in my life that does not line up with who YOU are.

Don't procrastinate when it comes to spiritual matters! Be diligent and be honest with yourself. If God's light is shed upon something that you need to get rid of, do it immediately. Is there a habit that needs to be replaced? Is there an attitude that needs to be removed? Are you spending time in prayer? Are you reading God's Word? Is there a sin that needs to be confessed? Is there repentance that needs to be made? Or a relationship that needs to be fixed?

After all the searching and trying you can repeat the words of the psalmist: "...lead me in the way everlasting." My truck (as far as the Inspection Sticker is concerned) is good for another year. That doesn't mean I won't have to do some maintenance. The oil will still need to be changed. The truck will still need to be cleaned. Gas will still have to be purchased to keep it running. In the same way, you and I will have to continually look into our lives and manage the things we can manage. We will still have to "Walk in the Spirit". And if we are willing to do this we will see the fruit of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control produced in our lives.

Maybe it's time for a Spiritual Inspection. Allow God to look into your life - Agree with Him about whatever changes need to be made - Then walk in the Spirit.

1 comment: