Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Getting the Right Information


I spent most of my morning playing the role of computer technician. To be honest with you...I HATE IT! We just established a new Internet connection at home which means changing email addresses, etc. There's one thing for sure: You better get it right.

Don't you just love establishing your message accounts? POP3 - SMTP - Does this require certification? One thing is for sure, if you don't do it right your computer will let you know!

This process got me thinking about how we receive things from the Lord. How do we know when God is speaking? How do we ensure that what we sense is from God really is from God? My advice: Test your settings. Really! Ask yourself the right kind of questions.

1) Is what I'm sensing from the Lord coming through the proper channels?

How does God's Word line up with what I'm receiving? If someone shared something with you, is it consistent with the Bible? Trust me when I say it can be dangerous to only receive something from someone else. Whatever is shared with you should be judged in light of God's Word. God can give immediate confirmation about things but if He doesn't then you should prayerfully consider what other people are sharing with you. I do this by writing things down. In this way I can look back and consider if something was truly from the Lord. I can also go back to an individual and thank them for being obedient to the voice of God. But if you have received something that does not line up with the character of God - DON'T DO IT.

2) Is what I'm receiving consistent with what I am praying?

This DOES NOT mean that God only answers your prayers the way your pray them. However, God often sends answers and directions that directly affect what you have been sharing in your times of prayer. Jesus told us to ASK, SEEK, and KNOCK. God's answers don't always happen in the mysterious. There are times that He actually gives you what you ask from Him.

3) What is my "filtering process" and my "firewall settings"?

A lot of Internet security tools have what is called "real time scanning". That means that they can actually scan for spam or viruses while items are being downloaded. This is true on the Internet or things that come through your email. This is an all important tool for Internet security and safety. The Holy Spirit should be your filter for any kind of downloads you are receiving. In my personal life this is usually associated with an immediate confirmation to accept or reject things. Some may call this intuition but I'm a believer and I trust this is the work of the Holy Spirit. The work of the Holy Spirit also acts as a "firewall" in my life to keep the junk out. Just be careful here. If your settings are too strict (answers can only come from ____________ or through a certain method) you may actually miss out on what God is trying to do in your life.

People today use their computers daily. Once we have gone through the setup process, we rarely consider these things again. I cannot tell you the times I have had to run through this process again with a new CPU or new Internet connection. Consider what I am sharing with you today much the same way. You need to be mindful of the process. That is why I'm a huge fan of Henry Blackaby's "Experiencing God". It has helped me in so many ways to recognize how God is moving. Once you have something like this in place (a biblical process) then you may proceed with a great assurance.

Before I close, let me share with you a strong encouragement. If you have set your hear upon hearing the Lord - you will hear Him. If what you are looking for in life is to be of use and service to Him - God will always give you direction. Trust me when I say that I'm not trying to complicate matters. I just never want to see anyone going out on a limb that God did not provide.

Blessings to you as you seek His voice, guidance, and direction.

No comments: