Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Would You Agree?

Matthew 18:19, "Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven."

I wonder how many of us are creatures of habit when it comes to the Internet? I can usually tell you the first 4-5 websites I'm going to visit as soon as I sit at my CPU. Today, however, I did a little Internet strolling and visited Henry Blackaby's website (link under "Neal's best of the web"). I noticed that they had a link to hear Blackaby speak on various topics. Prayer was the topic today. I didn't hear anything new but it made me think. {Just a note: if all you do is hear Blackaby read scripture and stop to ask "Did you get that?" it's worth taking the time to do so}

The verse quoted above is a reference to prayer. In face value alone it's one of the greatest promises of prayer ever given to us. However, what I need to point out to you is that the promise given is conditioned upon agreement. When we agree on earth about anything it will be done. Why then is there such difficulty in regards to prayer?

Every Wednesday evening our church body assembles together for the sole purpose of prayer. As a pastor I must credit Jim Cymbala for reminding me of the necessity of prayer among God's people. It was after reading "Fresh Wind Fresh Fire" several years ago that God began burdening my heart about collective prayer within the church. Immediately we made the change. I was excited about the new direction - I wish I could say it was true of the whole church at the time. I'm not saying that our church stood against prayer; I'm saying that not everyone at the time stood with it.

I think that there is a common misconception when it comes to prayer meetings. Some Christians have this idea that prayer is boring, unattractive, and meaningless. I will tell you from experience that prayer is none of the above. In fact, I have found prayer to be exciting, beautiful in the eyes of God, and so meaningful in the life of the church that we dare not exclude it. For at least one couple in our church God used the means of an "ordinary" prayer meeting to answer their prayers for a child. Others can cite God's answers for provision, the salvation of family members and friends, healing, and direction. Time and space does not allow me to dive into all the stories but I think you get the picture - Prayer Among God's People Works.

When you look at the teaching in Matt. 18:19 there are some things that cannot be ignored.
1) Prayer was a great emphasis in the teachings of Jesus.
- I want you to notice the word "again". This was a topic that He had addressed before. When God repeats something we need to take notice!

2) We can never de-emphasize the importance of agreement.
- I wonder how many churches will continue to fall by the wayside before answering the call to pray? How many marriages will continue to end in divorce before husbands and wives break dismantle their pride and kneel together to ask God to do a work in their lives? How many children will continue to go the way of the prodigal before mom and dad decide it's time to pray for God to bring their lost child home? When you and I agree in prayer it moves the heart and hand of God.

3) Pay careful attention to the word "ask".
- As children of God we don't demand anything! I liken this to our relationship with our earthly parents. When I was a child I knew that everything my parents owned could be accessed by me, but I did not have a right to demand it of them. I was taught to ask. If I asked, they gave what I needed. God works on the same principle. We may claim the promises of God but we must do so with the understanding that He is God. When we stop demanding - and start asking - God can work in marvelous ways.

4) Whenever we pray in agreement - consider it done!
- I say to you, again, this is a promise. God's promises have never failed. When He says it will be done - it will be done. All we have to do is agree.

I hope that this teaching of prayer will motivate you to pray with your spouse, your children, and your church. The needs of this life are too great to be left up to chance. Why don't we take the time to make things happen? It's time for us to emphasize once again the power of prayer. Would you agree?

No comments: