Thursday, May 8, 2008

Thoughts About the Presidency

The presidency of the United States of America is the highest office in the land. The president is also given the title as Commander in Chief of our military. With that being said, doesn't it make sense that our president have a military background?

I'm sure that this question will raise a lot of issues, however, it's one that should be asked. Some of the greatest presidents of this country served in the armed forces. I'm not suggesting that the individual has to have combat experience but I would like for them to have at least some military background. How can someone possibly lead our military if their only experience is watching "Pearl Harbor" or "Saving Private Ryan"?

Here are my reasons:

1) Deploying our military is a huge assignment. Our troops are not the World Police - rather they are serving to protect our country. We don't need a president who is going to put our men and women in uniform in harm's way simply as a distraction from their own political problems.

2) The general morale of our enlisted men and women deserve a president who has been where they are. They need to know that they are going to be taken care of, provided for, and recognized for their bravery and service. I have a great appreciation for our military but there is something different about the people around me that have served our country. They know what it means to fight for this country, honor our flag, and hold the office of the president in high regard.

3) The main purpose of the president of the United States is to protect and preserve our nation. It's not about handing out checks, delivering aid, or making sure that everybody is happy. No - the president should be concerned about making us safer. Global terrorism is the greatest threat we face. We need a commander in chief who recognizes that threat and will deal with it effectively.

4) One other reason that I want to give is in the area of leadership. It has been said that if you want to be a great leader you must first learn how to follow. The training provided to those in the military teaches men and women how to follow orders. However, it also teaches them how to think on their feet. You learn how to evaluate a situation and take the proper course of action. It's a training that is not provided in our colleges and universities. Leadership is a quality that is acquired through experience. You do not become a leader by gaining a title.

Those are just a few of the reasons I can give. I'm sure that if I spoke to one of the veterans in my congregation that they would have several more. When I look at the choices we face in this upcoming election there is only one person with military service. This is not a Republican/Democrat stance that I'm taking here. I am not at liberty to tell you who to vote for, nor would I. It just seems to me that there is a great void between the candidates. I could list all the differences but I won't. I would simply ask you to take a look at the accomplishments of each candidate and see for yourself. Which candidate has displayed their ability to actually lead something? Which candidate has a resume that has more to show than a college degree along with a little time in the Senate? Which candidate - on paper - would you hire as commander in chief? In other words: If America was your business and you needed a great manager, who would be the most trusted employee?

I know that our country does not think this way. We are more interested in a president that can give good speeches. We are more interested in a candidate that looks great in a suit or will make a good cover for TIME. We are more interested in a candidate that is going to bail us out of our stupid financial decisions and make sure that the rich don't keep getting richer. We are more interested in having a baby-sitter than a commander. What is wrong with our country? We need leadership - not empty promises.

In closing I want to be very honest with you. I'm not excited about any of our choices for the office of president. It seems to me that on either side of the aisle there are greater candidates. However, come election day we are going to have to choose who will best lead this nation. It's going to be difficult. I'm not sure how this thing will turn out. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a third option who could actually win - but there isn't. We are going to have to decide. We, the people, are going to have to ask which candidate will protect and preserve our right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Who will you choose?

No comments: