Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Welcome Back

I hope that everyone had a wonderful Memorial Day. For most of you it's back to the grindstone. Hopefully the energy you gained from the grilled hot dogs and burgers will carry you through this busy day.

As I considered what grand topic should be covered today I thought why not talk about what every news network is talking about. HIGH GAS PRICES! Call me crazy, but I don't get as excited about this topic as everyone else. I'm not happy with the price of gas, but I don't see it as the end of the world. The reason why I take this position is because I know that we (as a nation) can greatly affect the cost of gasoline at the pump. All we have to do is affect the cost in the barrel. How do we do that? Pumping our own oil!

Just last week the Senate held some "hearings". Actually they put on a little show with top execs from BIG OIL COMPANIES (if you are going to be in the media you have to learn to say it with disdain). They hammered them, and hammered them, over oil prices. One Senator actually asked them, "Don't you care what you are doing to us?" Interesting...that's a question we could all ask the Senate! Then there's the story about this idiot Congressman (Paul Kanjorski) who introduced HR5800, a bill that would tax windfall oil & gas profits. These profits of course would be determined by a "Reasonable Profits Board."

Folks - WAKE UP! The media and those in power want you to think that the greatest threat to this country is rising gas prices. Listen to their statements. Hillary Clinton said she wanted those profits. Obama continually hammers "BIG OIL". Now we are having hearings and creating bills to ensure that oil companies only make a certain amount of money. There is such wealth envy in this country that you won't have too many people complaining about it. In fact, most Americans don't have a problem with you making money as long as you are not in the oil business, pharmaceutical business, insurance business, or the food business. All other business can make money - just not you.

What spurred this interest in me this morning was that I was channel surfing with my kids before school. As I came across the CBS early morning show I noticed that they were doing a piece on a guy who was drilling for oil in his backyard. There was a small pump working hard to produce 3 barrels of oil a day. By years end they believe he will make a profit. By year's end? I thought oil companies were making record profits? You mean it actually costs money to drill for oil? Oh...wait...back to the story. Point is: this shouldn't be news. We have oil in the United States. We just don't want to pump it. Let me rephrase that: tree-huggers and liberals don't want us to pump it.

I can protest: FREE OUR NATION - FREE OUR OIL! (quick somebody grab a sharpie and a poster and let's congregate in front of the mayor's office).

No comments: