Friday, May 30, 2008

Tired of Oprah

It's Friday so let's jump right in with both feet shall we?

I want to encourage you to take the time and watch the 7 minute video on You Tube called, "The Church of Oprah Exposed." Why? I think it's time for people to understand what this woman is all about.

I'm sure that my statements will bother some people, but I can't take it anymore. This woman has become so influential that there are more than a few folks being led away by her current theological stance. Just in case you don't know: Oprah is not a Christian. In fact, it's her own testimony that convicts her. She has said that in her late 20's she became impatient with "rules, belief systems and doctrines." She also states that a lot of it started when she heard a pastor speak of God as a jealous God.

This doesn't surprise me at all. I have always though of Oprah as a conformist. She tries to morph into whoever is on her show. If Billy Graham is scheduled to appear she returns to her faith tradition. The very next day she can have some new age guru on the show and she turns it off. I have never felt she was a person of deep conviction when it comes to matters of faith. However, what we have seen recently is a determination to influence her audience toward New Age beliefs.

During all of this - God has not changed. Yes, the Bible tells us about a God who is jealous but His is a different type of jealousy than ours. We often think of jealousy in a negative way. God, however, is jealous for us. And why not? He created us, gave His Son on the cross for us, and offers us eternal life. God wants to be a part of who we are. To be quite honest with you, I'm glad that God is jealous for us. I'm thankful that God doesn't allow us to walk around with other gods because it speaks of His love for you and me.

I think for Oprah and those who follow the same path, this isn't an issue about God. It's really all about what they want. They want a God that's O.K. with us seeking out our own spirituality. They want a God that says it's O.K. to divorce, have sex outside of marriage, pursue all of your fleshly desires, and not have to conform to any kind belief system. It's all about idolatry: creating God in your own image. There's nothing NEW about New Age theology. This has been going on for centuries.

I will agree with Oprah about one thing: I have grown impatient with rules, belief systems and doctrines, but we differ greatly in how we respond. I embrace the God of Scripture while she embraces New Age theology. I embrace Jesus Christ as the only sacrifice for sin and means of salvation while she embraces herself as the only way to god likeness. I embrace the concept of a jealous God while she rejects the whole idea.

Yes, I'm impatient with any rules, belief systems, or doctrines that keep us from knowing the ONE TRUE GOD. Jesus said (literally), "I am the Way the Truth and the Life - NO ONE comes to the Father EXCEPT THROUGH ME."

No comments: