Thursday, May 24, 2012

A Word About Honor

I cannot explain to you the reason why...but every time I have the opportunity to see someone honored, it moves me. I'm not talking about the type of emotions where you are happy for the one who is receiving honor, but the type of emotion that says something just shifted in the atmosphere around me.

Most of us understand what the Bible says about honoring one another. Therefore, it is not my intention to define the word or tell you how to properly operate in it. What I want to share with you is what I witnessed this morning:

- The honoring of a woman who had served as a custodian for 20+ years in an elementary school. The honor that was given to her wasn't because it was "necessary." It was given because of who she has consistently been during those years. A woman who came to work with a smile on her face. A woman who genuinely cared for the people (adults and kids) around her. A woman who received a standing ovation from parents and children. She wasn't honored for her service. She was honored for who she was.

- The honoring of an administrator. He was honored not because of his position but because of his person. It's who he is that has made the difference in the lives of kids. It's who he is that contributes to the culture around him. When children were asked to remember some of their most memorable times as a student in this elementary school, one after another said that it was when he came to be the principal of their school. WOW!!!

I'm beginning to see that...
Honor brings life.
Honor allows people to function at their best.
Honor is given to people not for what they do but for who they are.
Honor recognizes the greatness in an individual.
Honor never says what can I get from you but what can I give to you.

Honor is a powerful force. The world will even take notice for the honor that is given from the church for those in the community. And when the people of God begin to display honor among one another, it creates an atmosphere that is hard to not be around.

There is a part of me that believes there was a time when honor had left the house of God. I think it was just a response to the culture. It seems as though there has been such a disdain for those in leadership that we have failed to recognize the place of authority that God has given to a Pastor, Teacher, etc. There was also a lack of honor among the membership. I don't know if this had to do with their particular class or social standing...but it was there. However, what I am witnessing (at least in my own church family) is a return to honor. It's an exciting thing to be a part of and an exciting thing to see.

- There was another moment of honoring someone that I have to talk about as well. We personally know several of the teachers within this particular school. They love God, the love kids, and they want to represent God's goodness in their vocation. These teachers go beyond just giving these kids what they need to pass a test. The become a crucial part of their lives. And every year, at the end of school, I hear these kids talk about the wonderful teachers they had and honor them among the parents, staff, and their fellow classmates. How is it possible to see this kind of honor coming from kids? It's possible when you have teachers who honor their students.

Jesus' words continue to ring loud and clear:
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."
This is one of the most basic principles of kingdom life. I pray that we continue to see a reawakening of this powerful tool in the lives of our churches and our communities.

No comments: