Wednesday, May 9, 2012

In Defense of Marriage

Looks like another state has taken a stand for traditional marriage. Yesterday, North Carolina became the 31st state to add an amendment on marriage to their state constitution. An incomplete return showed the amendment up 61.05% to 38.95% which would ban same-sex marriage as well as barring legal recognition of unmarried couples by state and local governments.

Rather than come at this topic from a faith standpoint, I want to address the rights of the individual states. I know this is a hot debate all across our nation that will continue as long as the Supreme Court attempts to legislate from the bench. As far as I'm concerned, the Bible is very clear on the subject of marriage - one man and one woman. That's why I don't feel the need to defend traditional marriage from the Bible. What was on display yesterday was the will of an individual state. North Carolina said overwhelmingly that they did not want to recognize same-sex marriage and that it was their right as a state to make this decision.

I'm a firm believer in the rights of the individual states. I have said from the beginning that each state should be able to choose how they recognize marriage rather than the federal government or federal courts deciding. What often gets lost in these types of debates is that the government of the United States was always meant to be a government by the people and for the people. I realize that we haven't seen this for some time in America but the times are changing.

One thing that I would like to say as a representative of the faith community is that just because I'm a firm believer in the traditional view of marriage it doesn't mean that I hate homosexuals. In fact, it bothers me that there are those who want to say that this type of vote is the legislation of hate. This vote has nothing to do with hate. It has everything to do with a state's decision on how it wants to define and recognize marriage. I approach the definition of marriage in the same way that I approach the definition of life. It is my belief that the Bible gives us a clear understanding of both. God is the Creator of life and the Creator of marriage. He has the right to define each of them. And just because I take God's view on the right to life and the definition of marriage doesn't mean that I hate those who are opposed to these ideals.

This is where the faith community must be very careful in how it approaches such difficult debates in the political arena. We do not need to be hostile in our approach. We do not need to be condemning or judgmental. We simply need to say "This is what we believe and if you believe like us then vote your conscience." It really is that simple. I don't have to demonize those who are in favor of abortion or same-sex marriage. We don't have to picket or protest. You simply take your decision to the ballot box or voting booth.

Over the last couple of years I have tried very hard to stay out of the political spectrum while writing the blog. It has been my desire to focus on the life that God has granted us in Christ and encourage people to go deeper in their faith. However, what I am witnessing in these types of votes is that there is a majority of people in this country who believe in a traditional view of marriage. That is good news. Now...we need to see this same type of passion translated into the defense of our own marriages. If you have a majority of people who believe in biblical marriage then maybe we can change the divorce rate in this country as well. Maybe...just maybe...these same people will take a stand for their own relationships. It is my hope that we can do more than just defend the definition of marriage. Now let us look into our own marriages and begin to defend the sanctity of it as well.

To those who would consider my affirmation of the vote in North Carolina as hatred, I would say that you simply do not know my heart. I don't believe that any state can legislate morality. But I do believe that every state has a right to say this is how we are going to recognize marriage.

No comments: