Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Staying On Track

"Beloved, I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers." {3 John 2}

I'm always amazed at how easily we can get off track. What John meant as an encouragement to the church has been radically altered to the place where many believe we can have everything we want.

Over the years we have seen an increase in what has been termed as the "Health & Wealth" or "Prosperity Gospel" - the teaching that it is God's will for you to be blessed financially and to never walk in sickness. While I do not support a Health & Wealth Gospel, I do not resort to Disease & Poverty one. The problem is that we have taken the idea of prosperity and relegated it to finances rather than understanding what prosperity of soul really means.
Do I believe that God wants to prosper His people in the area of finances? Yes!
Do I believe that God has provided for the health of His people through the atonement? Yes!
However, I do believe that those who preach the Health & Wealth Gospel have gotten off track. I believe that in their pursuit to unlock (if you will) the abundance that is ours through Christ that we have missed out on what true prosperity means.

There is a huge difference in watching God provide for all my needs and being in a place where I'm never in need. There is a great divide in trusting God with all I have versus believing God for all I want. What is lost in all the jargon of those who follow the prosperity doctrine is the idea of stewardship, what it means to be poor in spirit, and sacrificial living. While I refuse to partner with the spirit of poverty, I also reject the idea that money solves all our problems.

I do believe that the prosperity of soul that John speaks of is tied to our prosperity in other areas of life as well as to our well being physically, emotionally, and spiritually. You may be asking what the difference is in my thinking versus those who promote prosperity theology. I think it's a difference in my approach to finances, my understanding of prosperity, and my willingness to submit everything to the Lordship of Christ. The Bible teaches us that the earth and everything in it belongs to the Lord. I am to be a steward of all these things. While I have dominion, I am also a servant. I seek His glory through my life rather than just my own gratification. The problem isn't the belief system as much as it is the attitude. The constant references to finances. The inability to accept God's provision if it seems to be below our standards. I've seen this attitude reflected in people who don't adhere to Health and Wealth teachings. What this tells me is that any and all areas of our life come back to heart issues.

How do we stay on track?
According to Ephesians 3:16-20:
That Christ would dwell in our hearts by faith
That we would be rooted and grounded in love
That we would comprehend the breadth, length, the depth, and the height of God's incredible love
And that we would trust in the one who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we could ask or think.

Please understand my heart in all of this. I AM NOT condemning those who follow health and wealth teachings. I am also NOT supporting a gospel that keeps me sick and poor. What I am trusting in IS the unconditional love of God and learning to live in the abundant life of Christ. What I have experienced is God's blessings in every area of life. I have seen God bring healing and provision. I have watched as God did things financially that I could have not imagined. I have witnessed God touching broken lives and bring about victory in every area. I do what I can to guard against a presumptive nature with God and to keep from thinking that I just have to endure everything that life throws at me. It's a fine line (yes) but I am secure in His heart and I'm allowing Him to shape my theology. I am privileged to walk with others who share my heart in these things. We are a people who completely believe God for incredible provision while never casting a negative glance toward those who are not as blessed financially. We then take the provision that the Lord gives and do our best to sow back into the Kingdom of God. I have friends who are driving around in brand new vehicles that God provided rather than driving new vehicles that they bought with God's money (do you understand the difference?). How is this possible? It's the Lordship of Jesus applied to every area of life.

Never underestimate what is unlocked for you when you choose to live under the Lordship of Christ.
Give what He says to give
Do what He says to do
Trust Him in what He says to trust Him in
Believe Him for EVERYTHING
Follow Him wherever He leads
Renew your mind through His Word and watch God transform your life
And be willing to step out in this incredible journey of faith.

No comments: