Wednesday, May 2, 2012

More on the Holy Spirit

Several years ago I came across a book by D.L. Moody titled "The Secret of Success in the Christian Life." The book quickly became on of my favorite reads. As a preacher in the Baptist denomination, I was always interested in the lives of people who sought after a greater experience with the Holy Spirit than what they received at salvation. What I have discovered is that there were many great men (and women) of God who were radically changed through the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

I want to do more than just share excerpts from one book. Instead I want to share testimonies of some great men of God and how they came to experience the Holy Spirit in their lives and ministry.

D.L. Moody
D.L. Moody was a successful minister but by his own admission later, he lacked the power in his ministry. One day two women came up to him after a service. They said,
"We have been praying for you."
"Why don't you pray for the people?"
he asked.
"Because you need the power of the Spirit," they said.
"I need the power! Why," said Mr. Moody, in relating the incident years after, "I thought I had power. I had the largest congregations in Chicago, and there were many conversions.”

Moody was unable to get this experience off of his mind and said, “There came a great hunger in my soul. I did not know what it was and I began to cry out to God as never before. I felt I did not want to live if I could not have this power for service”.

He explains his experience this way:
“Well, one day, in the city of New York -- oh, what a day! -- I cannot describe it, I seldom refer to it; it is almost too sacred an experience to name. Paul had an experience of which he never spoke for fourteen years. I can only say that God revealed Himself to me, and I had such an experience of His love that I had to ask Him to stay His hand. I went to preaching again. The sermons were not different; I did not present any new truths, and yet hundreds were converted. I would not now be placed back where I was before that blessed experience if you should give me all the world -- it would be as the small dust of the balance.”

R. A. Torrey
R. A. Torrey gives his testimony:
"The address of this afternoon, and the addresses of the days immediately to follow, are the outcome of an experience, and that experience was the outcome of a study of the Word of God. After I had been a Christian for some years, and after I had been in the ministry for some years, my attention was strongly attracted to certain phrases found in the Gospels and in the Acts of the Apostles, and in the Epistles, such as 'baptized with the Holy Spirit,' 'filled with the Spirit,' 'the Holy Spirit fell upon them,' 'the gift of the Holy Spirit,' 'endued with power from on high,' and other closely allied phrases. As I studied these various phrases in their context, it became clear to me that they all stood for essentially the same experience; and it also became clear to me that God has provided for each child of His in this present dispensation that they should be thus 'baptized with the Spirit,' or, 'filled with the Spirit.'

"As I studied the subject still further, I became convinced that they described an experience which I did not myself possess, and I went to work to secure for myself the experience thus described...I went at it very ignorantly. I have often wondered if anyone ever went at it any more ignorantly than I did. But while I was ignorant, I was thoroughly sincere and in earnest, and God met me, as He always meets the sincere and earnest soul, no matter how ignorant he may be; and God gave me what I sought, I was 'baptized with the Holy Spirit.' And the result was a transformed Christian life and a transformed ministry."

Charles G. Finney
"I was powerfully converted on the morning of the month of October, 1822. In the evening of the same day I received overwhelming baptisms of the Holy Ghost, that went through me, as it seemed to me, body and soul. I immediately found myself endued with such power from on high that a few words dropped here and there to individuals were the means of their immediate conversion. My words seemed to fasten like barbed arrows in the souls of men. They cut like a sword. They broke the heart like a hammer. Multitudes can attest to this. Oftentimes a word dropped without my remembering it would fasten conviction, and often result in almost immediate conversion. Sometimes I would find myself, in a great measure, empty of this power. I would go and visit, and find that I made no saving impression. I would exhort and pray, with the same result. I would then set apart a day for private fasting and prayer, fearing that this power had departed from me, and would inquire anxiously after the reason of this apparent emptiness. After humbling myself, and crying out for help, the power would return upon me with all its freshness. This has been the experience of my life."

I share these testimonies for encouragement. As Moody states in his book, the Holy Spirit is the key to success in the Christian life. He is the all consuming fire of God who will set you ablaze for His glory. I pray these words along with what I have shared with you in the past will stir a hunger in you for more of Him. Be FILLED and Be blessed!!!

No comments: