Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Thinking About Rich...

One of the most influential Christian Artists in the late 80's and early 90's was Rich Mullins. Mullins possessed incredible talent with strikingly honest lyrics. He's probably most popular for writing/recording "Awesome God." However, it's the story of the man himself that grabs my attention. He left us far too early, but his music and legacy remain with us today.

Rich's story is one we all need to hear. Struggling with identity, loneliness, and alcoholism would have finished most people. Thankfully, for Rich, he met a man by the name of Brennan Manning who helped him to really connect with the Abba of Jesus, forgive his earthly father, and find his place within the "Ragamuffin Gospel" (a teaching by Manning). There is no doubt that he was not your average artist. He never sought popularity. He simply wanted to share his music and his understanding of God. Rich never really knew how much money he made. He told an account manager to simply pay him an average salary in the U.S. for that year. The majority of his revenue from tours and sales went to various charities and the church.

Why am I talking about Rich? The truth is that I recently watched a movie that was based upon his life and career. I found myself heartbroken for him. His songs took on a new life. I could hear his honesty, feel his pain, and see into his struggles in the faith. Watching some of the scenes would have turned a lot of people off from Rich Mullins. But to be honest with you, I found myself with a greater respect for the man. He didn't hide who he was or what he struggled with in life. This vulnerability is almost unheard of in Christian circles. It's even more rare among those who have a platform.

While I cannot say that I agreed with everything the Rich said about God, I appreciated it. He simply shared where he was in his journey. I often wondered, if given the opportunity, if he would have changed some of the lyrics to awesome God had he written it later in life. How many of us could say the same thing? I have looked over sermons that I preached years ago and was almost embarrassed by some of the things I said. But it's where I was in the journey. It was real and authentic me in the moment. The revelation of God's love for us is ever unfolding. We are growing into it, awakening to it, and understanding more and more. Rich Mullins discovered this very love of God for himself. In the midst of his brokenness he found the Lord...or rather...the Lord found Him. The music he created shortly before his death revealed this reality.

I want to encourage you. I don't know what you may be dealing with. I don't know what struggles you are encountering. I don't know what problems you may be having in your relationships or your finances. These things matter very little in Jesus' ability to meet you. You can encounter Him right now in the midst of your pain. You can find Him in your wounds. You can hear Him speak to you when everything else seems to be consuming you. He is not as far from you as you might think.

As you consider this, I want you to read through the lyrics of one of my favorite Rich Mullins songs:

Hold Me Jesus

Well, sometimes my life
Just don't make sense at all
When the mountains look so big
And my faith just seems so small


CHORUS:
So hold me Jesus, 'cause I'm shaking like a leaf
You have been King of my glory
Won't You be my Prince of Peace

And I wake up in the night and feel the dark
It's so hot inside my soul
I swear there must be blisters on my heart

CHORUS

Surrender don't come natural to me
I'd rather fight You for something
I don't really want
Than to take what You give that I need
And I've beat my head against so many walls
Now I'm falling down, I'm falling on my knees

And this Salvation Army band
Is playing this hymn
And Your grace rings out so deep
It makes my resistance seem so thin


CHORUS

You have been King of my glory
Won't You be my Prince of Peace

No comments: