Thursday, March 5, 2015

In Honor of Purim

Yesterday marked the celebration of Purim among our Jewish brethren. A holiday that remembers the willingness of Esther to put her life on the line to preserve her people. In honor of Purim, I want to celebrate the strong women within the church.

Over the years I have heard people (mostly men) say that the lack of men within the church necessitates that women step into particular roles. I disagree. These women step into these roles because they are gifted, anointed, and fully equipped by the Father. The Holy Spirit, throughout history, has used women in profound ways. It's not the lack of men that necessitates women stepping forward. It's the will of the Father who uses women "for such a time as this."

One of the strongest women of faith that I knew was my Great Aunt Zula (Nana as we called her). I can still remember the times our pastor would call on her to pray. She was faithful, full of love, and graced with the Lord's compassion. I will always be grateful for her, and I will always be grateful for a pastor that was willing to allow her to participate in the service.

I realize that in 2015 there are many more women pastors, deacons, teachers, and worship leaders. However, it wasn't that long ago that women only served the church in much smaller roles. Typically limited to working with children (or other women), these ladies faithfully served the church. They did what they could to make a difference in the lives of others. There were those who stepped up into greater leadership roles, much to the dismay of male church leaders. They were ridiculed, protested, and mocked. They endured it because they believed that the One who called them was faithful. Other women simply departed to the mission field. It was on the field that they felt the equality that the Lord always wanted for them.

In Galatians 3:28 we read that in Christ all divisions are broken down. There is no such thing as Jew or Gentile, Slave or Free, nor Male or Female. We are all ONE in Christ. For years I was ignorant of this truth. I saw the church as a male dominant organization. I saw men as the only reasonable leadership. Thankfully, the Lord has delivered me from this type of thinking. I have grown to appreciate the various roles that women have filled within the church. I see their heart for the Lord. I recognize their value to the Body.

For those who would decry this type of thinking. Those who would try to use the Bible to argue against a woman's ability to speak or lead in a church. I would simply ask that you do your homework. Get into the original language. See those passages of Scripture in context. I can assure you that the Apostle Paul did not promote the disparagement of women. He often worked alongside of strong women in the church. Leaders in their own right. Apostles. Prophets. Deacons. He knew their strength. If there was any caution that he gave to the women it was in light of particular situations within the church. I believe he would be saddened by the way we have kept women from fulfilling their God given role. I think he would be bothered by the fact that we used his words to do it.

I have a friend whose grandmother was a pastor. She was a pastor when women pastors were unheard of. You cannot imagine the difficulty she experienced. Undaunted, she served faithfully. I honor her for her bravery. I am blessed by her willingness to endure. Her faith and her devotion to the Lord is to be emulated. It's women like her, like others that I have encountered, that have helped the church become what it is today. They understood our oneness in Christ. Through much tribulation (most of it coming from their own brothers and sisters in Christ), they have overcome the ignorance of others.

In honor of Purim, I honor the strong women whom I have encountered in the church throughout my lifetime. I honor those whom I walk with today. I see you. I celebrate you. I rejoice that we are one in Christ and members of the same Body. I'm grateful that my journey with the Lord has allowed our paths to cross and/or that we have been able to walk together. I am blessed to know you.

No comments: