Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Jesus at the Center

Growing up within a Christian community made a huge impact upon my life. It seemed to me that everyone I knew went to church. Well...at least most of the time. While my hometown had a handful of churches, I think most people either went to the Disciples of Christ Church or the Baptist Church. I share all of this with you because I don't think there was ever a time that my life wasn't influenced in some way by the Gospel or my understanding of God.

With all of that being said, I can't say that Jesus was at the center of everything. I was. Most of the teaching and preaching that I heard growing up seemed to have more to do with me (what I do/do not do) rather than Jesus (what He did/is doing). I wasn't raised in a legalistic culture. THANK GOD! However, I was raised with an understanding that I needed to pray every night and be sure to ask for forgiveness every night. Which I DID. Pretty much without fail. But man...that weighs heavy on the psyche.

Some of you may have been raised the same way. You may be wondering why I would even talk about such a thing in a negative light. What's wrong with asking for forgiveness every night? What's wrong with it isn't the asking. What's wrong with it is the mentality behind it. Once again I was thrust upon myself. Did I pray? Did I ask for forgiveness? Did I include everything? For years I lived on pins and needles. I knew that Jesus died for me. I believed it. BUT...was I really forgiven? Did I follow the right procedures? Was I going to be judged for finishing off the grape juice from the communion platter? There just seemed to be a lot of "what if's" in what I believed. Little did I know at the time was that there were a lot of "what if's" in the people around me.

This is the sad part of the story. Men and Women of faith that I grew up around who were not settled. They went to church. They took communion. They gave in the offering. Some of them sang in the choir, taught Sunday School, took up the offering, and even said amen to the preaching. But they were stuck. They were unsure of the nature of God. They, just like me, heard a lot of preaching/teaching that revolved around them. I don't think any of the pastors or teachers that I sat under meant it. I think they were just passing on what had been taught to them. Back and forth we would go from the love of God to the judgement of God. Back and forth between Heaven and Hell. Back and forth between peace that passes all understanding and be sure that you know that you know that you know you are saved. Can I get off the roller coaster now?

If anyone wonders why I preach the Gospel that I preach today, now you have your answer. If anyone wonders why I put so much emphasis on the finished work of Christ, wonder no more. I have simply come to a place where I realize that Jesus is enough. Salvation is Jesus plus nothing. Everything that needed to be done has been done in Him. All one needs to do is take a leisurely stroll through the New Testament letters to understand that. However, it's what we have been taught in regards to US and WHAT WE DO that keeps us from fully embracing the Good News. By the way, you can test out my theory if you like. The next time you go to church, see how often they talk about Jesus. I'm serious. I know it's a "Christian" church, but you would be amazed. People are often inundated with messages like this: 3 STEPS TO.... 4 PRINCIPLES FOR.... WAYS IN WHICH YOU... Over and over again there is such an emphasis on what you - the individual - bring to the table. What we miss out on is Christ in You the hope of glory.

The following is a list of things that the Bible declares and reveals about Jesus. This is not an exhaustive list but a great starter. I hope it is an encouragement to you.

Jesus...
The Word Made Flesh, The Christ, The Son of the Living God
The Perfect Expression of the Father's Image
The Son of Man
(thus the perfect expression of humanity)
The Author & Finisher of Faith
The Last Adam, Firstborn of All Creation, & The Firstborn from the Dead
The Creator & Sustainer of Life
The Summation of All Things
The Redemption, Reconciliation, Restoration, & Regeneration of Humanity
The Mediator of an Everlasting Covenant
The WAY, The TRUTH, The LIFE

As I wrote all of these down, I kept hearing: Jesus - the Father putting all of His eggs in one basket.

The emphasis of the entire New Testament is upon Jesus. In fact, many of the Old Testament prophecies pointed toward His coming, His suffering, and the establishment of a New Covenant. 27 "books" all centered upon one incredible individual. 27 books dedicated to sharing Jesus, explaining all that was accomplished in Him, and helping us to understand faith in Him. 27 books to move us away from an Old Covenant mindset into a New Covenant reality. 27 books that tell me that Jesus is enough. It just seems to me that if we are to be a truly New Testament church that we would be dedicated to the same message and that Jesus would be at the center of all things. Even our performance.

Our faith is not about what we bring to the table. Our faith is about what He brings to the table. It is His grace that empowers me. His love that compels me. His Spirit that guides me. His righteousness that clothes me. His peace that surrounds me. His humility that humbles me. His faith that saves me. His finished work that completes me. Over an over again, these 27 books remind me that even in my life it's all about Jesus. As I have been able to lay down a faith that was centered upon me, I have discovered a faith that is full of joy, full of freedom, and full of incredible security in the Father's love. I have found Him to be faithful (as He promised). I see that He never leaves me nor forsakes me. I have tasted and seen that the Lord is GOOD. And it is this faith that I now share with others.

It's been an incredible journey. I will be forever grateful for how the Lord has opened my eyes. As I move forward, I invite you to join me. Join me in seeing all that He has accomplished. Join me in the freedom that belongs to the sons of God. Join me in the dance, the "perichoresis" of oneness, fellowship, and relationship with the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. There is more to faith than you have realized. Jesus at the center makes all the difference. Be blessed.

No comments: