Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Intentionality

Over the course of 20+ years of walking with Christ I have gone through several studies. I have learned what it means to Experience God, to possess the Mind of Christ, to Make Peace with My Past, and what it means to live in a Culture of Honor. All wonderful studies. All meaningful milestones in my life. However, what I have learned in these studies did not change me. It's what I did with what I learned that made all the difference.

Intentionality is a way of life. I have known people who possessed great knowledge of the Bible but struggled to see a difference in their lives. Men and Women who had been in church for many years who often spoke of their continued struggles translating what they say they believed into a present reality of life. Experiencing God seemed to be an once in a blue moon occasion. His silence was deafening, and their faith was waning. They failed to see Him in every day life. Feeling His love for them seemed to be tied to how well they performed. A vicious cycle of mountain tops and valleys. Steady growth in Him was about as successful as trying to nail jello to a wall.

I thought this type of life was normal. I believed the ups and downs were simply a part of it all. What I did not realize is that I was trapping myself into a mindset. A mindset of failure. A mindset of mediocrity. This forced me to do the only thing I knew to do: I worked harder. Things never really changed but the idea of achieving some sort of higher spirituality kept me moving. It's funny how busyness gives us a sense of self-satisfaction.

Enter GRACE. Discovering that grace was the empowerment of God upon my life changed everything. I found His grace to be sufficient even in my weakness. I entered into a mindset of success. A mindset of consistency. This forced me to do the only thing I knew to do: LIVE INTENTIONALLY. Since the grace of God was always upon my life, there was never a need to resort to my own strength. I found within myself the ability to love, to forgive, to experience a higher spirituality if you will. No longer wrapped up in busyness, I found myself simply resting in Him.

What was I intentional about? I was intent to continually believe that He was enough. His finished work, His grace, His mercy, His Spirit dwelling inside me, it was all enough. I stopped comparing my life to others. I found a contentment that I never knew before. I also experienced a hunger to go deeper in this identity that I did not believe was possible.

I believe the grace of God is the life we were always meant to live. A life that is secure in relationship with our Creator. Walking with Him. Talking with Him. Gaining strength from this bond. Hearing Him speak life over us and to us. This is a reality that we should experience. It's not a life set aside for the super spiritual. You have to understand that. When I experienced this Grace Awakening in my own life, I felt that I was at one of my lowest points. Inconsistency seemed to dominate me. Ups and downs were a part of my normal experience. My wife and kids never got the best of me. The grace of God at work in me changed all of that.

What if you believed you were truly loved by God unconditionally?
What if you believed that grace was an ever present gift in your life?
What if you believed that in Him you truly live, you move, and you have your being?
What if you believed that love wasn't a fleeting emotion but a choice?
All of these things you already possess. Experiencing them as a reality doesn't happen accidentally.

Intentionality is the key you are looking for to unlock this life. Intentionally believing. Intentionally speaking life into yourself and others. Intentionally loving. Intentionally being present everywhere you find yourself. All In - All The Time. Enjoy the journey.

No comments: