Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Being ME & Reaching THEM

A friend of mine used to conduct personality profile tests for the company in which he was employed. Just for fun, I decided to take the test. The results baffled my friend. Rather than just a clear cut description of my personality, what he discovered is that (in his words) I contradicted myself. While I was strong (or weak) in a certain area, I was just as strong (or weak) in the opposite. To be sure, there was a particular personality trait that was dominate, but it wasn't as clear as he thought it would be. My response to all of this? I said, "I don't contradict myself. I compliment myself." It wasn't an arrogant statement. I have just been in a place where I am confident in my identity.

The Apostle Paul wrote to the Corinthian Church about the fact he could be all things to all people. The following verses you can find in chapter 9 of 1 Corinthians (verses 19-23):
"Even though I am a free man with no master, I have become a slave to all people to bring many to Christ. When I was with the Jews, I lived like a Jew to bring the Jews to Christ. When I was with those who follow the Jewish law, I too lived under that law. Even though I am not subject to the law, I did this so I could bring to Christ those who are under the law. When I am with the Gentiles who do not follow the Jewish law, I too live apart from that law so I can bring them to Christ. But I do not ignore the law of God; I obey the law of Christ. When I am with those who are weak, I share their weakness, for I want to bring the weak to Christ. Yes, I try to find common ground with everyone, doing everything I can to save some. I do everything to spread the Good News and share in its blessings."

Paul had a genuine sense of identity. He knew who he was in Christ. While he was more than willing to live in that freedom, he understood the importance of meeting people where they lived. It didn't matter if he needed to honor the Jewish Law while reaching out to those in his faith background, or if it meant living without the Law among the Gentiles. He didn't feel the need to insert himself into the equation. He was still himself but he saw their needs as more important than his liberty.

Here's what I love about this approach & why I believe we need to see more of it in culture today:
- It simply rejects the US vs THEM mentality. In Paul's view, it was all about them. He could be in their culture & yet be true to his own.
- It reminds us of the VALUE of each person.
- It reiterates what we already know: Those who do not know Christ, live accordingly.


When you are confident in who YOU are, then you will be able to help people discover who THEY are.
You will be able to reach out to those who live with a legalistic approach to God. You will be able to minister to those who live with no regard to the Father. You will be able to lay down your "RIGHTS" for those who are weak. There is a common ground for each group so that they can come to the knowledge of God's love for us in Christ.

This also tells me that there is no clear cut method for reaching people with the Good News. Each people group require something different. Each culture requires a different approach. The same equation in each endeavor was the Apostle Paul's willingness to meet them where they live. He could honor their traditions, appreciate their values, and move freely in life just so they could be introduced to the Gospel.

Sometimes I think we forget what it's like to be on the other side. Years of living in a culture that has been saturated with the Gospel is not a bad thing, it just means that we have to remember that some people to know the Truth yet. They haven't encountered the love of God. They know nothing of Jesus & what His coming meant for them. They don't know who they are & why they were created. This is why they desperately need you - confident in your identity - to step in among them. WE can be OURSELVES while reaching THEM.

Why is this important? Why do I continue to stress the need for being yourself? It's quite simple really. The world doesn't need cookie cutter religion. They don't need mindless followers of some type of tenants of faith. They need to experience real, living, breathing, followers of Jesus. They need to experience sons who recognize their place in the family & the freedom they possess in Christ. This kind of thinking is hard for those who have a more religious approach to life but it's true. How many walls are broken down when you can sit with someone who is having a drink without being offended (or even sharing a beer with them)? How many lives can be touched when you are willing break down cultural barriers? How many people could be reached when we set aside our prejudices, our pride, & our preconceived notions? I'm not saying that you have to engage yourself in an activity that you would deem unholy. What I am saying is that we learn how to meet people where they are without judgement, shame, or condemnation.

I can be ME reaching out to THEM so that they can discover who THEY really are in Christ.
When you have an understanding of the finished work of Christ, you realize that there is no US vs THEM. There is only US. WE have all been affected by the love of God in Christ. WE have all been touched by the atonement. HUMANITY has never been the same since the death, burial, resurrection, & ascension of Christ. The only thing that separates US from THEM is the fact that WE believe & THEY have yet to believe. As Graham Cooke says, "They are Pre-Believers." Encountering the reality of the Gospel in & through our lives will make a difference.

No comments: