Wednesday, September 3, 2014

The Adventure...

2 Timothy 3:16, "All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness..."
The Bible is full of revelation. Revelation, by definition is: a surprising and previously unknown fact, especially one that is made known in a dramatic way. The divine or supernatural disclosure to humans of something relating to human existence or the world. With that being said, I don't believe we necessarily have a full revelation. I realize that can be a shocking statement. However, you need to understand that I say it will full respect for the written page.

Through Scripture we gain incredible insight and knowledge into the heart of the Father. For most of us, the Bible has been our basic introduction into the Gospel, the life of a believer, and our understanding of Jesus Christ. I believe this collection of writing to be an amazing foundation to our faith. But there are some major questions we need to answer. For some people the Bible is an open and shut case. They believe that any and all revelation is detrimental to the book. What I am proposing is not an addition to the canon of Scripture. What I am proposing is that we open ourselves up to the Spirit of God.

There are a few things we need to set straight.

#1 - the Bible was not written as a whole but brought together as a whole.
In other words, the Bible is a library of different types of writings. It's full of history, poetry, prophecy, narrative, and letters (just to name a few). It was a decision of the church to create a biblical canon (authoritative scripture). The church has always believed that this was inspired by God as well.

#2 - the Bible was not the end of revelation but can be used as a measuring stick for revelation.
What has been revealed helps us to better understand what is revealed. This is why I say that the Bible is foundational.

#3 - I love the Bible.
The majority of my life has been spent searching the Scriptures, gaining insight into the revelation of God contained within the pages, and sharing that revelation with others. I have studied, memorized, applied, and quoted Scripture for all of my adult life. I have read it in several different translations (from cover to cover). I look into the original language for deeper understanding. I have been trained in exposition and believe in interpreting bible verses in context. I continue to be amazed at the revelation contained within this book. I believe it to be inspired.

It's important for you to know these things because I will not discredit the Bible (in any way) for what it is, nor take away from the authority contained within it. What I often question, as I think most people do, is our interpretation of passages and verses. I believe the Bible opens the door for a greater revelation of the Father in our lives. I believe through the reading of Jesus' life and ministry that our eyes are open to see and our ears open to hear Him in our lives today. But I'm afraid that many people have created something out of the Bible that was never meant to be created. The Bible is holy in the sense that it is set apart from other writings, but it's not a magic book nor a choose your own adventure reading. The Bible is meant to provide a foundation for the lives of believers. It's an open door to a life of adventure with the Holy Spirit. It encourages, edifies, and helps bring comfort.

The problem that I have is how some people say that this is all God wants to say or reveal. If that is the case then why do we need the Holy Spirit? Think about it folks. People say that the Bible is the full revelation of God. If this is true, then why does Peter only have 2 letters in it? This guy walked with Jesus for over 3 years and only two letters give full expression to his insight? John has several writings as well but he's the one that stated that not everything Jesus did was recorded because the world could not contain the writings. What about the Old Testament? 39 books that were read, memorized, celebrated, and applied to the lives of the Jewish people; and yet Jesus came to reveal to them that their understanding about the nature of the Father was wrong. When we use the Bible to shut down revelation, we are saying two things: 1) We are saying that we trust our ability to understand, interpret, and apply every verse. 2) We are showing how inept we are at discerning the Spirit of God.

A couple of years ago, we were having a baby dedication. As a part of this ceremony I asked some people so speak prophetic words over the life of the child as a blessing. Little did I know that we had a visitor in our midst who would take great offense at what was meant to be an encouragement to this family. In his e-mail to me the very next day, the only question he had was whether or not the canon was closed. Do you see where I am going with this? In his mind, the closing of the canon meant that we were no longer able to operate in spiritual gifts. And somehow our prophetic blessing over the life of this child was coming against Scripture. This wasn't his only complaint against our church. His fundamental (even legalistic) background allowed him to be offended at a lot of things. Mainly our freedom in worship and our embracing of the Holy Spirit. This is where we are in many of our churches.

Jesus made a statement in John 5:39 (which, by the way, chapters and verses were not a part of the original writings), "You search the Scriptures because you think they give you eternal life. But the Scriptures point to Me!" What a revelation. The whole of the Old Testament was to point people to Jesus. Paul tells Timothy the same thing. If you look at the verse I started with this morning, you will find that he is talking about the Old Testament (the only Scriptures they possessed at the time) as a means to bring us to faith in Christ. Jesus is also telling the Pharisees that any and all Scripture is meant to bring us into an encounter with Him. And that is why I'm sharing this blog with you today. I want you to experience the person of Jesus.

What the Bible does not contain, and cannot contain, is your experience with the Lord. Can you look back and see similarities? Will there be a biblical reference? I believe so. But to say that there will be a chapter and verse for everything we experience is to commit intellectual suicide. What I can look for is what your experience of Him produces in your life, and that kind of fruit I can find in the written Word.

So, please don't take any of this as a discrediting of the Bible. Please don't take it as a setting aside of the Bible either. Neither is intended. Simply takes these words as an invitation into a life of adventure. The same Father, Son, and Holy Spirit you read about in these pages can be encountered in your personal life. All the promises contained within this book are open to your life in Christ. Apply the lessons that you will learn from this book. Seek greater understanding. But understand that our Heavenly Father cannot be contained within the covers. For centuries, the Jewish leaders kept God bound up in the Law. They struggled to experience Him outside of it. That's why they couldn't embrace Jesus. God was contained within the scrolls, engraved in stone, embraced in ritual and tradition. And it was their interpretation of these things that blinded them to the reality of Jesus.

Let me encourage you. The next time you open the Bible prayer this prayer:
Father,
It is my hearts desire to encounter the person of Jesus. May my heart be open to the revelation of Him. I thank you for all that is contained within these pages. However, I desire to experience the reality of you. May I have eyes to see and ears to hear. Holy Spirit, I give you permission to reveal Jesus, the true Word of God, in me as I read these words.
Amen

No comments: