Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Stepping Out Of Complacency


It's my belief that one of the greatest struggles in American Christianity is complacency. Here's why: We have a faith that costs us nothing to receive and nothing to maintain. If that seems offensive to you then you might as well get ready. It's time to step out of complacency. The world needs a genuine experience with God. And you are just the person to give that to them.

A pastor asked a congregation this question:
"How many of you have been saved for 30+ years and you sit in the same spot every Sunday, you do nothing to grow in your Christian life, and you have no desire to experience more than you are already experiencing?"
He then went on to make this statement:
"If that is you then you need to find something else to do on Sunday mornings."

I truly don't believe it was the intent of this pastor (who is a well known speaker) to just be offensive. His intent was to stir the people up to experience God in a greater way. I made a similar statement this past Sunday to our congregation. I said, "If Sunday morning is the culmination of your Christian experience during the week then you need to get saved." I wasn't doing it just to offend but to make people think - to stir them to action - to help them step out of complacency. I'm not in the job of question whether or not someone is actually saved, but I do feel compelled to help people see things differently.

In the book of Acts we read about the disciples of Jesus in an upper room waiting on the Promise of Jesus to come to them. In Acts 2 He comes and you don't read about them going back into the room. What you do read is that a band of believers stepped out in the promise of the Father (which was the Holy Spirit) and turned their world upside down.

This has to happen in America. We need a revolution that is birthed out of a hunger for greater things than what we have experienced. We need to see believers all throughout this nation who will step out of the complacency of church life. There is SO MUCH MORE to experience. There is SO MUCH MORE to be involved with in His kingdom. While there is a necessity in our lives for fellowship with other believers, that fellowship can come through life experiences. We can actually grow in the Lord as we "Go" together to see His kingdom advanced. I'm not against worship gatherings - I love worshiping with my church family every Sunday - but that experience can happen daily. Power and intimacy with God is not limited to a Sunday morning worship gathering. It's not limited to a Sunday evening Bible Study or a Wednesday night Prayer Meeting. Your home should be a worship center. Your family should be an environment where you can experience God. Every where you go and with every one you meet is an opportunity to see God move.

The Holy Spirit in you allows you to experience the nature of God, the love of God, and the gifts of God on a regular basis. You have positioned in such a way that in this Kingdom - you get to release Him. His is in you as a fountain that springs up unto eternal life but He's also a river of living water that must flow out. He's not in you as a lake. Therefore, you cannot keep storing it all up for yourself.

If I'm being honest (and you know I am) - I don't live for Sunday mornings. I live to see Him manifest each and every day of my life. I don't want normal Christianity if that "normal" means that I must rely upon someone else to feed me, someone else to motivate me, and someone else to experience God for me. What about you? Are you ready for more? What's it going to take for you to be all that God has created you to be in the earth? What's it going to take for you to step out of the complacency and enter into the adventure which is abundant life in Christ?

No comments: