Thursday, June 14, 2012

"Be Still" to "Be Filled"


Psalm 46:10 says "Be still and know that I am God..." Oftentimes when we refer to this passage, we instruct people on the necessity to quiet themselves, cease from their labor, and learn to trust the Lord in each situation. But did you know that learning how to "Be still" is actually the best way to receive from the Lord?

I'm beginning to learn how to recognize the activity of God in my life. This is an exciting journey. For many years now I found myself frustrated because it was difficult for me to receive from the Lord. I have had people pray over me, share prophetic words with me, etc. However, I would often miss out on what God was doing because I had an expectation within me of seeing God do something totally different. I realize that this is not an uncommon practice with other believers, but the ability to "Be still" has provided an opportunity to experience the presence of God.

Now I want you to couple this phrase (Be Still) with Paul's exhortation to the church at Ephesus "Be filled with the Spirit of God." {Ephesians 5:18} It's really hard to be filled without being still. I've heard a quote that is often associated with on older preacher of the gospel who you say: "You can't drink and talk at the same time." My...how those words have taught me a lot.

I have seen people seek ministry from others and the whole time you are trying to pray over them - they are praying as well. While there may be times that we seek to pray together for something, there is also a need to quiet yourself and be aware of what the Lord is doing in and around you. We must learn how to "Be still" so that we can "Be filled."

This isn't only true when we are being ministered to by other people. It's true when we are seeking the Lord in private. If all you are doing in your prayer closet is talking to God then you are having a one way conversation. You have to listen for His voice, recognize how the Lord is moving in your own spirit, and embrace His activity. This is what I'm beginning to learn. This is what the Lord is teaching me. It's all too easy to brush off what the Holy Spirit is doing because He comes to us in such a gentle way. Sensitivity to Him is what makes genuine intimacy with God a reality.

Allow me to encourage you to take some time today just to be still before Him and allow Him to fill your life. Drink of His goodness, His love, His faithfulness, and His incredible grace to you. Discover the reality of the indwelling Spirit in your life. And don't stop being still before Him until you encounter Him. I have had many conversations with people who gave up too quickly. It's not that God was not willing to move in their lives, it's just that they became preoccupied with what God was or was not doing.

Take the time to...
BE STILL
and
BE FILLED.

Enjoy the journey!!!

No comments: