Thursday, February 9, 2012

40 Days to a New...


So...I'm listening to a sermon and out comes this idea of 40 days. I decided to do a search for the biblical significance of the number. It starts making sense. Now I'm just hoping to make a little sense with you.

The number 40 seems to be significant to a time of testing/judgement. 40 years also seems to constitute a generation. Think about this: women are pregnant for 40 weeks. I mention all of this because I am focused on what comes out of the 40.

Jesus was tempted for 40 days.
Israel wandered in the wilderness for 40 days.
The flood came and it rained for 40 days.
Moses was on the mountain with God for 40 days.

While I do not want to diminish what takes place during those 40 days, I think there is great significance to what comes out of it. And as I'm considering all of this, it all starts making sense. Lent is 40 days. Many of the people who go on the "Daniel fast" do it for 40 days. Rick Warren lead his church through 40 days of purpose. Why? Because at the end of 40 days, there is something new to walk in.

With all this stuff running around in my head, I ask myself the question: Why don't you take 40 days and do something significant. Imagine 40 + a heart devoted to encountering God = _________________. The possibilities are endless.

40 days to a new relationship with God
40 days to a new mindset
40 days to a new understanding of God's Word and His Spirit
40 days to a new...

To be honest with you, it sounds so good that I'm going to have to do it. I'm going to set a time with the Lord where for 40 days it's just going to be me and Him. 40 days in His Word without anybody else giving me a commentary. 40 days of seeking, praying, and listening to the voice of God. I'm sure somebody else has already thought of this, but it doesn't matter. I simply want to encounter God.

How about you? What could 40 days of seeking the heart of God accomplish in your life. Remember...this isn't just a formula or another program. This is taking a biblical principle and adding it to a heart that yearns for God. Can you imagine what it would do in your life?

Thanks for letting me ramble. I'm not going to announce when this will take place. However, I will share with you all the exciting things that God teaches me through this season. Stay blessed!

No comments: