Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Turning the World Upside Down


"These who have turned the world upside down have come here too." {Acts 17:6} I have always thought that this was one of the greatest statements concerning the missions activity of the early church. It was this band of "rebels" that God had used to impact much of the known world. What began as a group of 120 people in an upper room, quickly spread to thousands of people who were confessing Jesus as Lord and Savior.

I recently read an article that discussed the faith of U2's lead singer Bono. Personally, I have never questioned Bono's faith in Jesus Christ. Much has been said concerning his conversion. However, because Bono is Bono, he has been criticized on more than one occasion. In the article is a great conversation about Jesus Christ: "Christ says, I'm not saying I'm a teacher, don't call me teacher. I'm not saying I'm a prophet. I'm saying: 'I'm the Messiah.' I'm saying: 'I am God incarnate.' The article is a refreshing piece for anyone who follows the public faith of celebrities.

While I listen to the statements of Bono, I'm reminded that too often we over-emphasize the faith of those in the spotlight. I think that we think because they are celebrities that they can have a greater impact upon the world. Folks, we must remember that it was this cast of nobodies in the book of Acts that were taking the world by storm. God has always chosen to use those who were very insignificant to confound the wise. Over and over again, the God of Scripture reaches out to those who were less than popular to bring Him glory.

The ability to turn the world upside down for the Kingdom of God is within you. The Holy Spirit has the ability to make much of your life. Don't sell yourself short. I'm sure the natural inclination of most of us is to think that we don't have the skills, talents, or abilities to do what God would have us do. If you are in that category of thinkers then you are in a perfect spot to witness the supernatural activity of God in your life.

You may look at your life and say "I am insignificant" while God says "You are unique."
You may look at your life and say "I am a loser" while God says "You are more than a conqueror."
You may look at your life and say "God can't use me" while God says "Make yourself available to me."

The redemptive purpose of God in the world requires that each of us who calls on the name of Jesus be involved. It's not enough to send out a few missionaries to remote locations. It's not enough to have a few church building dotting the landscape. The salvation of the world rests in the "ordinary" followers of Jesus taking His call seriously, and sharing His message intently. To quote Bill Faye, "What God cannot use is your silence." If you have been saved, then God has someone to work with. If you have been delivered, then God has someone to lead others out of darkness. If you have received a touch from God, then God has someone He can use to touch the world.

Are you ready to turn the world upside down? God is!!!

No comments: