Friday, March 4, 2011

Marriage - Enjoying the Pursuit


Much has been said this week regarding the continual pursuit of love in the marriage relationship. While I have attempted to give you some points on how to conduct yourself through this process, today's entry will be all about you. There are some things that cannot be taught. Only through a process between you and God will you be able to keep your heart fixed. The good news is that God wants your marriage to be blessed!!! He want you to enjoy this covenant!!! And He wants it to last!!!

In Genesis 2:23 we read the words of Adam after God had brought Eve to Him. "This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man." Please hear these words: "bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh." I don't know if there is a more profound statement concerning the attachment that one man felt to one woman. Adam understood that Eve was a part of him. Have you considered that your spouse is truly a part of who you are?

It is this deep seated intimacy that we have to rediscover. In Song of Solomon 3:4 we hear the bride of Solomon say that when she found the one her soul loved, she held him and would not let him go. Hear the words of Solomon to his son in Proverbs 5:19, "...always be enraptured (intoxicated) with her love." There may have been a time in your marriage when you felt like this. You would have done anything to stay in the presence of the one you loved. You never expected to experience a loss of emotion. However, these words need to be deep inside of us. We should continue in the intoxication of love.

Song of Solomon7:7, "Many waters cannot quench love, nor can the flood drown it..." If there is one thing that I have discovered in my marriage, it's that God will help you draw from the well of love that He has placed inside of you. I remember thinking over those words in Proverbs and saying "God...I do love my wife...but I don't know that I have been enraptured by her. God...I'm saying that I want to be. Help me to love her like you love her. Help me to see her the way you see her. And may I always be satisfied with the wife of my youth." Can I tell you something? God answers this prayer.

While I do not lay claim to a perfect marriage, nor do I claim to be a perfect husband, I love my wife with everything in me. I want to show her honor. I want to love her as Christ loved the church. I want to give her everything she needs and deserves. This process wasn't easy. In fact, I had to die to myself to make it happen. But I love what God has done in my heart. I have discovered my wife to be my best friend, a wonderful companion in life, and a joy that is incomparable. She is everything that I could have ever asked or prayed for. She is the one that my soul loves and I will not let her go.

When Jesus spoke of marriage, He said, "What God has joined together, let no man separate." That's why I can say that God wants your marriage to last. He wants you to "cleave" to your spouse. But if the only love we operate in is the natural love that we possess then our tank will run empty. We must draw upon His love. We must love as He loves. And the only way that we are going to get there is to seek the face of God concerning our spouse.

I want you, right now, to ask God to give you the love you need for you spouse.
Ask Him to allow you to be intoxicated with their love.
Ask Him to allow you to see them the way He sees them.
And ask Him to give you the strength to never let go.

Say it with me: "I can enjoy my marriage!" "I can enjoy my spouse!" "Their love is enough!" Hmmm...their love is enough. This last statement will only be true if you learn to draw from the well of love that God has placed in you.

Keep pursuing!!!

No comments: