Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Somebody's Praying


I was riding in the truck with my daughter this morning when (out of of nowhere) I began singing "Somebody's Praying" by Ricky Skaggs. Just singing those words stirred a humility inside of me that is often easy to forget. Where would we be if someone had not been praying for us?

Read the lyrics:
Somebody's praying
I can feel it
Somebody's praying for me
Mighty hands are guiding me
To protect me from what I can't see
Lord I believe
Lord I believe
Somebody's praying for me

Angels are watching
I can feel them
Angels are watching over me
There's many miles ahead 'till I get home
Still I'm safely kept before Your throne
Lord I believe
Lord I believe
Angels are watching over me

Well I've walked barren wilderness
Where my pillow was a stone
And I've been through the darkest caverns
Where no light had ever shone
Still I went on 'cause there was someone
Who was down on their knees
And Lord I thank you for those people
Praying all this time for me

I don't know about you, but I immediately began to think of my grandparents. All those years of laboring in prayer over the grandchildren. When I look at where my life is now, I have to stop and thank God for praying grandparents.

The privilege, opportunity, and power of prayer is amazing. It is through prayer that we can see eyes that are blinded to truth opened. It is through prayer that we are able to keep ourselves from worry and anxiety. It is through prayer that Jesus taught how we are to bring everything before the throne of God and believe that He will answer us. When we pray...great things happen.

Tonight PBC will gather for prayer. This is one of the most important things we do all week. Prayer has guided us, comforted us, protected us, and equipped us for use in the kingdom of God. As much as I love gathering for the larger worship service, this time on Wednesday evening has become a much anticipated event. I'm always amazed at how God moves upon the hearts of His people during this time. I'm also thankful for how He has answered this group of warriors who are willing to battle through with prayer.

I encourage you to find a place of prayer today. If you can't get away from the desk - pray. If you have to spend a lot of time in the vehicle - pray. If you are at home - pray. Enter into the presence of God and watch Him change your atmosphere. And while you are there...give thanks for those who have prayed for you.

Somebody's praying for you.

No comments: