Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Beneficiary of Praise


"I will call upon the Lord who is worthy to be praise..." {Psalm 18:3}

I am currently preparing a series of messages on praise. One of the thoughts that occurred to me today (while listening to the PBC Praise Team practice) came as a question: Who is the beneficiary of praise?

Ultimately, our praise should bring glory to God. The psalmist makes it clear that God is worthy to be praised. It is because of His worth that I lift my hands, shout, sing, etc. Our God is an awesome God who is worthy of praise.

Our praise of God should lead us to call upon Him.
Our praise to God should lead us to live for His glory.
Our praise to God will lead us to walk humbly before Him.
Everything we do as believers in Jesus Christ should be done to draw attention to the God who is worthy of praise.

However, I am also the beneficiary of praise. There is a release through praise that cannot come any other way. Just as there are things that can only be dealt with through prayer; there are some things that can only be dealt with through praise. When I am willing to humble myself in the presence of God, I can release pain through praise and receive peace. I can lift my hands in surrender - God gets the glory and I enjoy the blessing. I can shout unto God with a voice of triumph - God gets the glory and I get the victory. In all of these things, God and I both benefit from true acts of praise and worship.

I don't know what you may be going through this week but I want to encourage you. I want to encourage you to find some time to praise God in the midst of it all. The Bible teaches us that in His presence is fullness of joy. Get into the presence of God and watch these things fall away. Your problems may still be there when you get done but you don't have to drudge through them. Praising God brings about a whole new perspective in life. It's all about getting to a place where you are no longer magnifying your problems but you are magnifying God.

I just had this conversation with someone the other day. Sometimes we need a perspective change. Praise to God changes perspective. All of a sudden our problems are minimized. They may not leave but the definitely look different. If I am going through a difficult season then I must have time set aside to praise God by myself. This isn't about getting together with the whole church. This is all about getting into a solitary place with God. I praise Him for all the good things He's given. I praise Him for my family and friends. I praise Him for all His benefits. It is in that process of praise that I actually feel the heaviness come off of me. I'm elevated because I am elevating Him who is worthy.

Here's your challenge: Take the rest of the day to do as the psalmist: Call upon the Lord who is worthy to be praised."

No comments: