Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Are We Leaving Room for God?


I was awakened to a wonderful devotional reading from Oswald Chambers in My Utmost for His Highest. The title of today's entry was "Leave Room for God" and was founded in Galatians 1:15, "When it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by His grace". Paul is referring to the calling He received from God and how it broke through in His life. The question we have to ask is: Are we leaving room for God to break through in our lives?

The following is an excerpt from Oswald Chamber's devotional:
"Would we be surprised if God came into our meeting or into our preaching in a way we had never expected Him to come? Do not look for God to come in a particular way, but do look for Him. The way to make room for Him is to expect Him to come, but not in a certain way. No matter how well we may know God, the great lesson to learn is that He may break in at any minute...Keep your life so constantly in touch with God that His surprising power can break through at any point. Live in a constant state of expectancy, and leave room for God to come in as He decides." (January 25th entry)

What an exciting thought...God breaking in at any moment to perform what He chooses. Don't you find that exciting? Or could it be that you haven't given God any elbow room? This is a struggle for many believers and their churches. We tend to put God on a program. He can break through in certain areas but not over here or over there. He can break through during the preaching but not the singing. He can break through in prayer just not in the testimonies. He can break through at 11:30am just not 11:55am. See where I am going with this? Who are we to tell God when He can or cannot move?

The break through of God is what every believer should long to experience. We have to view these moments as something special rather than something scary. It may sound strange to some of you but there are those who fear a move of God. They fear what it will do to their lives, their schedules, or their list of priorities. What I have discovered is that our fear of God's break through moments is typically rooted in our unwillingness to follow God in certain situations. It amazes me that people actually fear the call of God on their lives. I remember when God called me and I was actually hoping He would! I wanted to serve Him. I wanted to be used by Him. There was a part of me that actually hated the idea of going through the motions or just sitting in the pew. I looked for God to break into my existence as a believer and He did. Although preaching was the furthest thing from my mind, I did not resist His call. I, like Paul, can see the hand of God as He "separated me from my mother's womb, and called my by His grace."

It is during this time of looking for God to move upon our lives that we have to understand the Lordship of Jesus Christ. He is my Savior but He is so much more. He has every right to invade my life. He has every right to call me by His grace. He has every right to break into our church meetings. He has every right to break into my preaching. The thought of God surprising us by His Spirit should be something that brings great anticipation.

What I am sharing with you today is something that has actually happened in my life. I have experienced those surprise moments when God moves and speaks in ways that we did not anticipate. It changed my doctrinal views. It changed my theological stances. It altered my perception of order. And it totally changed how I "do" church. I can no longer be satisfied with 3 points and a poem when it comes to preaching. Just singing the songs during worship has been thrown out the door. I am not moved by just having a time of prayer. In every situation, every circumstance, and in every meeting; I am looking for the unexplainable, and indescribable move of God upon the hearts and lives of people. We have been called for this!!!

May you be surprised by God today!
May you be moved by His presence!
May you be awakened by His Spirit!

All you have to do is give Him room.

No comments: