Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Building of Faith


Has God ever promised you something? This isn't a trick question and I'm not dealing with generalities. I know the Bible is full of promises but have you ever experienced a time when the Spirit of God spoke confidence into your heart about a particular thing? If your answer is "yes" then I want to encourage you to keep believing.

One of the most discouraging things for me to see is someone receive a promise from God, confess it in faith, and then give up before the promise is fulfilled. Too often we can get frustrated in the process before we see the harvest. What I hope to share with you today is something that will cause you to "dig in". Just because you have confessed something does not mean you are operating in faith. Some people think that if they confess it then God will move. But the whole idea behind confession is getting us to agree with God. James Richards says, "Confession is not something we do to move God, it is something we do to persuade our hearts of what Jesus has already accomplished." (Supernatural Ministry, p.78)

Pay careful attention to the verse that I'm going to share with you. Allow it to provide some building blocks for your faith. "Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful." {Hebrews 10:23} Here's what I have come to understand about receiving the promises that God has given. May they be a help to you in this journey of faith.

Building Blocks of Faith:

#1 Be Committed to the Promises of God
The writer to the Hebrews encouraged them to "hold fast" to their confession of hope. There is a warning here to losing the boldness and confidence that you once possessed. This is where you must continually persuade your heart in the area of faith. Remember that faith is the "substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." You may not have the answer yet but you must continue to believe. Continue to confess what God has spoken to you.

#2 Be Confident in the Person of God
Once again, we go back to the Bible for understanding. The reason we are to "hold fast" is because the One who has promised is "faithful". Sad to say, but this is where we often miss out. If our perception of God is anything other than what He has revealed, then we will give up before our answers come.
God is faithful
He is faithful in His love
He is faithful in His goodness
He is faithful in His promises
Whatever God has promised, He will perform. If you are weak in this area then I would encourage you to read back through the Word and confess all that God says about Himself. He is the great "I AM". He is a God who "Changes Not". He is "Faithful". With confidence in the nature of God you can continue to confess the promises of God.

#3 Be Prepared to Shut Out All Negative Influences
The verse we have been focused on today teaches us to do all of these things "without wavering." One would think that if I'm holding fast to the promises and trusting in the faithfulness of God that I would not waver. However, this is a good point for us to examine. Why would we ever waver? We waver when unbelief gains our attention. If you find yourself operating in unbelief then you have to recognize where it is coming from. God's wants you to be fully persuaded in Him. Therefore, any influence that causes unbelief in my life comes from the enemy. I don't care how well packaged it may be, what theological argument can be brought against it, or who speaks this unbelief over me. I must be ready to shut the door, throw it away, or even keep my belief to myself. There are plenty of well meaning people who can be used the wrong way in my life. The only way that I can keep from wavering is to never allow unbelief to be a part of the equation.

In Hebrews 11 we find men and women who were considered faithful. This chapter has been referred to as the "Hall of Faith." Not one person was placed in that chapter because of what they thought. Their names were penned there because of what they did by faith. It was by faith that they believed, and it was by faith that they acted. Their hearts were fully convinced in the faithfulness of God and they did not back down. What about you? How will your life be different from the countless others who have claimed to have a promise? Will you continue to build yourself up on your most holy faith? I trust you will. I pray that you will continue to confess the promises of God in your life and that you will be confident in the God who does not fail.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Some people think that if they confess it then God will move. But the whole idea behind confession is getting us to agree with God. James Richards says, "Confession is not something we do to move God, it is something we do to persuade our hearts of what Jesus has already accomplished." (Supernatural Ministry, p.78)"

I must say I am guilty here. I went through my "name it, claim it" stage of Christianity and came away in shock that God did not move every time I "claimed it" and that He did not move according to how hard and vigorously I confessed His word (of course I was proof texting His Word).

The result has been that I now operate in a different way... a way that many would regard as non-belief but I regard it is not depending on myself for His work. If God gives me a promise, I do not tell others confidently... because I have misunderstood Him before. I simply "hold on loosely" and say, "God, I pray it will be according to what you have said, but I am yours and you can do what you may." When asked I say things like, "I think He said....." That is not unbelief to me... that is simply realizing I am not infallible in my understanding of Him. Inside my heart I am excited to see Him unfold and manifest His plan to me and have absolute faith that He is working. It just may not be exactly what I thought.

I realize my value in Him but I can no longer puff myself up in that value. My value is His to give and has nothing to do with what I have done. I want my own children approaching me, confident of my love but ready to accept ANY answer I have (even if it doesn't please them or make life easy) and trusting in my ultimate desire for their own good. In short, I want their requests to be made in the tone of a real question. When I approach God, I remember that.

I am so glad He tolerated my "phase".... and so glad He didn't leave me there.

Neal Hawks said...

Thanks for sharing!