Friday, January 28, 2011

The Release of Praise


I'm currently working on the final sermon in a series of messages entitled "Let His Praises Ring." We have been looking into the 7 Hebrew words that are often translated as "praise" in the Psalms. My hope in all of this? To be a part of the release of praise from God's people that changes worship from entertainment to intimacy.

Over the past couple of weeks, I have re-visited trying to learn the guitar. This is something that I have wanted to do for a LONG TIME. However, as we all learn, things get in the way or we get frustrated in the process. So...I'm back to establishing the callouses on my finger tips, learning the chords, and practicing finger exercises. Thankfully, I have a friend from church who is helping me through this process. I look forward to a time when I'm playing sound rather than feeling like I'm playing a letter in the alphabet.

Some people may wonder why I would be willing to dedicate myself to this learning process. I mean...I'm not planning on being in a band. I have no intentions of joining the praise team (although if I could fill in - that would be cool!!!). For me it is all about the praise. I long to "zamar". In other words: I want to praise the Lord upon the strings. Singing is something that I have always enjoyed. Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. God has grown me in the area of praise, so I don't have a problem lifting hands, celebrating His goodness, shouting His praises, dancing before Him, or bowing down. But I long to praise Him through the instruments. I look forward to a time when I can just sit and play in His presence.

Worship/Praise to me is all about the passionate pursuit of the purity of His presence. In His presence is fullness of joy. There is a completeness that only comes as I enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise. While learning the guitar has been a personal goal (something I have wanted to do since I was a child), I see the importance of worshiping the Lord with all that He gives me. If I can add playing the guitar to my praise of Him then it will only enrich my time of worship.

This is all a part of the passionate pursuit. It's a complete abandonment of all that I am (and have) for His glory. God is worthy of my praise - ALL OF IT!

Think about the ways that you can praise Him. Maybe there is a song that needs to be sung, a poem that needs to be written, a painting that needs to be painted, a dance that needs to be danced, or a testimony that needs to be given. The release of praise from a heart that is centered on worship can affect the atmosphere around you. It will draw you into a more intimate encounter with God. And the good news: He longs to be in your presence. He is looking for those who will worship Him in spirit and truth.

Join me in the passionate pursuit. May we never be satisfied until we are engulfed in the purity of His presence. It's time for the people of God to release their praise!

"Let everything that has breath praise the LORD. Praise the LORD!" ~ Psalm 150:6

No comments: