Friday, September 24, 2010

A Sense of Belonging


Ever have the feeling of not fitting in? Looking for a sense of belonging?

I remember being in high school and never "feeling" that I fit in with any of the groups with which I was associated. I played sports but never really felt like a jock. I hung out with some of the kids that liked the same tastes in music but never felt like a "metal head." I was smart enough to do well in school but didn't belong with the smart crowd. I took a Creative Writing course but didn't want to be labeled with that group either. I was sure that I could fit in somewhere but my feelings said otherwise. As I look back on it...I think I had an identity crisis. It seems as though people labeled me as belonging to certain groups but I didn't (couldn't) see it.

Romans 8:15, "For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, 'Abba, Father.'" One of the greatest benefits of being a follower of Jesus Christ is that I know who I belong with. The Spirit that cries out within me rejoices in the fact that I am a child of God, a joint-heir with Jesus, and a citizen of the kingdom of God. I don't have to wonder who I fit in with because God has made me fit through Jesus Christ.

Identity - the distinguishing character or personality of an individual. This is how we typically define the word identity. It's all about who we are, what we look like, and how we behave. If I asked you to identify a person, you would being to tell me everything you have seen and know about the individual. If you go through airport security, you must have proof of identity. This is usually satisfied with a picture ID (driver's license or passport). What God has done in you through faith in Christ doesn't come with a picture ID but an inward proof of identity - His Spirit.

Have you ever wondered why God chose to operate this way? Don't you think that God could give each of us a spiritual birthmark that would be visible? I have no doubt that God is capable of it but this isn't how He chose to operate. God chose to place in us the same Spirit that was at work in the life of Jesus Christ. This is the same Spirit that raised Jesus from the dead. It is the Spirit of adoption - the Spirit that cries out "Abba, Father." This Spirit bears witness with our spirit that we belong to Him and it also bears witness with the spirit of other believers. Is that cool or what?

What God has done is give you inward proof of who you are in Christ. You never have to worry about a birth certificate, picture ID, or green card. The proof of who you are is inside of you and He always bears witness. Your sense of belonging is firmly settled in the witness of God's Spirit within you. If you ever get to a place where you doubt what God has done, then you can ask Him to bear witness and He will. As you begin to confess what God's Word says about you, the inner testimony burns within. It may sound crazy but it really works.

Take some time on this Friday to thank God for His Spirit dwelling inside you. Thank Him that you never have to wonder if you truly belong to Him. Thank Him that this Spirit allows you to cry out Abba, Father. Thank Him that greater is He that is in you than he that is in the world. Thank Him for bearing witness in you that you truly belong to Him. Then watch and see what the Spirit of God does inside of you. Flow in His empowerment to share this life with others. Enjoy His work in and through you.

You belong because Jesus made you acceptable by grace through faith. You belong!!! Cry out: "Abba, I belong to You!"

No comments: