Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Life's Lessons


Before I get into the "meat" of the blog, I want to share with you an update on my son. I told you yesterday that he chose to walk in faith and just before I finished the blog, I got that phone call with the statement: "I want you to take me to the church and pray over me." It seems as though my son injured the same foot in gym class. SAME FOOT! What did I do? I did what he asked me to do. I picked him up at school - took him to our church sanctuary - prayed over him. This time we had a different result. This time...NO PAIN! Completely gone! Two days in a row we watched God at work. Two days in a row, my son experienced the power of God. As I tucked him in last night, he gave me a hug but asked me to stay. He then proceeded to hug his mother and hugged me again saying, "Thank you for everything!"

Life's lessons. Too often we are so caught up in life that we miss what God is trying to teach us. Every situation in life gives us an opportunity to learn about His nature. One of the most basic lessons we have forgotten is the principle of "Sowing and Reaping."

Galatians 6:7-8, "Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life."

Why is this lesson so hard to learn? I have discovered people in life that constantly blame God for all the bad stuff that happens to them. If they have problems in marriage, it's God's fault. If there is a problem in their finances, then God didn't provide. I can list several examples and stories that I have heard but you get the point. We have forgotten that we reap what we sow. As long as I sow to the flesh I will reap corruption. If I sow to the Spirit I will reap life. PERIOD! End of story.

The reason that I have shared with you the story of the faith journey that my son and I have been on has nothing to do with boasting. God is the one who worked in us. The reason I share it with you is because I have been able to sow to the Spirit in his life. Regardless of what happens in his life from here on out, he has experienced the healing power of God. People may try to come against him with arguments but he has an experience. I told him yesterday that he needed to understand something: "On Monday, we went to the sanctuary based on my faith. I felt led to pray over you. Today, we go based on your faith. This is what you asked me to do." I told him this because I wanted him to learn a valuable lesson about faith. God, in His faithfulness, blessed my child's faith and gave him exactly what he had prayed - NO PAIN!

What a testimony! There was a little boy in the hall who saw Hayden hop out of the classroom only to see him walk back in about an hour and a half later. He asked the teacher about it: "What's going on? I watched him hop out but he walks back in!" I'm hoping that she will get the opportunity to share with that little boy about what happened.

Ask yourself this question today: What am I reaping in life? The answer will tell you where you have been sowing. SOW TO THE SPIRIT and you will always reap LIFE!

No comments: