Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Wake Up the Normal Life...


I have a song going around in my head this morning - "Heaven is Here" - being sung by Jesus Culture. Take a look at the words with me: "Wake up, the normal life. You can do whatever You want to. Shake up, eternal sight. Because we want You..."

Normal is as normal does. Right? I guess it depends on your definition of normal.

We read yesterday that the kingdom of God is within us according to Jesus. Does your definition of normal revolve around the natural life or the supernatural life? Does your experience of normal have anything to do with the reality of the kingdom of God? If our reference point in life is what Jesus has done for us then we cannot expect normal to be normal.

I heard that my son was in Kid Zone on Sunday morning as they were discussing how God responds to us in prayer. When the subject came up regarding healing, Hayden says, "Oh...we see that all the time now." WOW!!! Normal, at least according to my son, is God answering the prayers for the sick and they are healed. Normal for him is that God moves when His people pray. I never want him to experience a different kind of normal.

Unfortunately, this isn't the same normal that others experience. Normal for many is that God answers most of their prayers, God moves some of the time, and we can expect God for great things every now and then. I say that definition of normal is not biblical. In fact, I would call it theology based upon our own disappointments.

Could it be that we have defined a Christianity based upon everything that we can do in the flesh rather than what God can do in the Spirit? Would we possibly hand down a belief system to our children that states that we should believe that God can but not always expect an answer? If we operate like this then we have missed what Jesus taught us about prayer and experiencing God through His answers. Jesus told us to ask, seek, and knock. The rest is up to God. How often does God fail? Never!

When it comes to faith in the Word of God, we must understand that Faith doesn't make anything happen. Faith on our part is simply lining up our beliefs with the Word of God. Our faith brings grace into our situation but it is grace that changes things!

I truly believe that God is doing a work in His people. He's moving in our hearts so that we will align our beliefs with His Word. He's directing us to trust Him for more while experiencing Him more in our daily life. The time for dead and routine religion is over. There are some things that might have been O.K. for a season but not anymore. God is drawing us closer to His heart and we cannot turn back.

Wherever you are today - whatever you are experiencing - I'm asking you to join me. Join me in asking God to wake up the normal life. Join me in believing God for more. Join me in a faith that lines up with God's Word. Join me in saying God can do whatever He wants to do.

May we see the God of the impossible!

No comments: