Wednesday, August 18, 2010

School Daze


Today is the 1st day of school for the kids here in Wythe County, VA. The "lazy days" of summer are over and the majority of our children are sitting in the classroom as we speak. Although we have been through this several years now, I still get a little emotional when dropping the kids off.

My thoughts this morning were dominated by the thoughts of the previous weeks. There was always the questions of: What are the kids going to be doing today? Is __________ going to work with me today? Etc....Etc... While that may not seem like a big deal to most of you reading the blog, you just don't know my mindset.

I tend to be pretty laid back. Rarely do I rush around although I may feel rushed. I try to take life as it comes. However, when summer is here and the kids are at home, I like to know what's going on. "What are the plans?" is one of my most basic questions. As I dropped Hayden off at school today all I could think of is wanting one more day to ask "What are the plans?"

These questions and feelings have led me to pause and think about the environment we are providing for our children. Do they feel pressed? Do they think that they are a difficulty in our lives? Or do they have security in the grace of God that we want to dominate our home? And even though there is a small sense of relief that comes from knowing what the plan is for today...I really don't like it.

Psalm 127:3-5, "Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one's youth. Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them..." As I dwell upon these verses from God's Word, I'm reminded of my joy and responsibility in parenting. I am joyful that God has blessed the fruit of the womb in my home. My son and daughter truly are a heritage from the Lord. The responsibility comes from understanding how to handle the arrows that God has placed within my quiver. How am I preparing them for the day that they will take flight from my hand into the world? Every day that I have with them while they are still in the quiver is a day where I can draw them closer to the God who created them.

My response to all of this - this morning - was to ask the Lord for forgiveness. I asked Him to forgive me for being selfish while teaching my children to be unselfish. I asked Him to forgive me for being irritable while teaching them patience. In fact, more often than not, I find that I contradict what I teach. Can I teach a child not to yell while yelling? Can I teach them how to love while displaying anger? I never set out to be a hypocrite with my kids (I'm sure you don't either) but it is too easy to allow words to replace action.

How do I fix it? Stay committed to the end result while focusing on the now! I cannot change my past but I can redeem my present. If I want my children to be a product of grace then I must choose grace for them. If I want them to respond in love then I must choose love's response for them. If it is my desire that they walk in the image of God then I must choose to walk in the image of God before them.

So...as the school daze are (is) upon us...I will do what I can do. My kids need me now more than ever! I will be involved in their learning. I will know where they struggle and give them help. I will take note of character issues and seek wisdom. And I will give them grace because they will need it (I know I will).

Blessings to all the families who are starting a new school year. Blessings to all the teachers as well. May God grant grace and protection throughout the whole year.

No comments: