Friday, May 7, 2010

Thermometer or Thermostat?


"Are you a thermostat, or a thermometer? Do you merely reflect the environment, or do you change it?" ~ Unknown

Although I'm not sure of the original source of this quote, it's worth using. I know that many great men and women down through the ages have used it to illustrate some of the choices that we have in life.

Before we go any further, let's consider these two items. A thermometer is used to measure the temperature while a thermostat is used to regulate it. A thermometer reflects what is happening around it while a thermostat moves the temperature one way or another. One follows - One leads.

Too often in life we choose to just reflect our environment rather than change it. The path of least resistance is always to go along. I don't have to exert any energy, adjust my life in any way, I simply exist. That's all a thermometer does. But if I choose to live a thermostat life then I'm going to have to work, make adjustments, and do all that I can do to affect what I can affect.

When you and I read the book of Acts we find that the followers of Christ were thermostats (at least after the "Upper Room" experience). Once the Holy Spirit came upon the believers in power they began to change their environment. Immediately they began to preach the Gospel and people were being saved. Immediately they went from hiding out to standing out in the streets.

Believer, don't think that God has called you to merely exist. You should not conform to this world (thermometer life). NO...instead God has called us to make a difference in the lives around us. It may mean standing up for what we believe in, sharing Jesus with a friend or stranger, giving of our time or finances to make a difference; whatever it is, a thermostat life is one that changes the environment.

This is not only true in regards to spiritual matters. This is true in every day life! Here's some thoughts to consider:
Am I going to reflect what is going on in my marriage or change it?
Am I going to simply go along with all that my child wants or am I going to make a difference in their life?
Am I going just going to be a reflection of what happens in the church or am I going to be involved?

Whatever the circumstance...whatever the cost...I want to be an agent of change in the Kingdom of God. What about you? If you are a believer then your family is just as much a part of the Kingdom of God as your church. Your marriage is all about the Kingdom of God. Your children are the Kingdom of God in your home. When we become followers of Christ then everything we involve ourselves in are an opportunity to affect what God wants done in the world.

Once again, we have a choice. Much like the other blogs of this week - we need to make a decision. Am I going to build my life upon the foundation of God's Word or the shifting sands of man's wisdom? Am I going to be constructive or destructive in the things that I do? Am I going to reflect my environment or am I going to change it? God is leading us to a place of decision. I truly believe there is a line being drawn in the church and in the lives of the followers of Christ. Who will we be? What will we do?

I choose Jesus!

No comments: