Monday, May 17, 2010

The Discipline of Losing


"For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it." (Luke 9:24)

There's something you need to know about me. I don't like to lose. It doesn't matter if we are talking about checkers, basketball, or thumb wrestling...the thought of losing drives me crazy.

Being competitive is a part of my nature. I can't simply blame it on being an athlete because I was that way long before I joined a recreation league or played sports in school. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I'm a twin. It seems as though I have always competed with someone else for my identity, the front seat in the car, or being first in line. The funny thing is that it doesn't even matter if I know how to play the game: I DO NOT LIKE TO LOSE!

However, there is a discipline that I have had to learn since becoming a follower of Jesus Christ. I had to learn the discipline of losing. It wasn't easy. Actually...it still isn't easy. To turn the other cheek means that I had to lose on the first one. To forgive someone means I had to lose on the side of my vengeance. To go the extra mile means that I had to give up the 1st one. I didn't mind hearing Jesus say "Take up your cross and follow me." To me...that seemed like a given. But to know that I had to lose my life in order to save it - that was another story.

I truly believe this is where most people struggle. We like our rights don't we? In our minds we think that we deserve to call the shots. We deserve to make up our own minds. We deserve to act out on our emotions. But we don't have to walk with Jesus very long before we understand that this is not the way of a disciple. We are called to live a life that is nothing short of what our Savior embodied. When He came into this world He gave up all rights to Himself. He chose to live the life of a servant. In the garden of Gethsemane we hear our Lord say, "Not MY will but Yours be done."

Here's the point:
To be a disciple of Jesus Christ I must submit to Him as Lord. He becomes the Lord over my life in every area.
My Marriage is His!
My Relationships are His!
My Role as a Parent is His!
My Position at Work is His!
My Place in the Body of Christ is His!
And the only way that this can be true in my life is when I choose to LOSE.

The good news in all of this:
When I lose my life - I actually save it.

I use to think of this verse only as it pertains to eternity. However, now I'm understanding that it does apply to this life. When I choose to lose in the area of my pride, I always see God come through. So I have had to learn to give in during an argument, humbles myself even when I thought I was right, and give love when I wanted to show anger. It hasn't been an easy transition but I'm learning. And in all my learning I have seen my marriage saved from many trials, my kids saved from an emotional roller coaster, and my position as a pastor strengthened. All of this through the discipline of losing.

Where do you need to run up the white flag of surrender? What part of your life are you still claiming rights over? Here's the thing: God doesn't just want to be on the top of a list of priorities. He wants all of you! Then (and only then) will you begin to see victory.

Remember this quote: "Your arms are too short to box with God!"

Be willing to lose in some areas so that you may win.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Great blog today Neal! Thanks for sharing Truth.