Wednesday, May 26, 2010

FORGIVEN!!!


Isaiah 53:5, "But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement for our peace was upon Him, and by His stripes we are healed."

FORGIVEN - it's a word that Christians use a lot. In fact, we use it so much that it can often lose it's significance. Here's the definition of forgive: 1) To cease to feel resentment against (an offender): PARDON 2) To give up resentment of or claim to requital for - to grant relief from payment of - to grant forgiveness. {Get the Picture?}

To say that I am forgiven is to announce a remarkable event in my life. In my case: I have been forgiven by God. Therefore, God has chosen to cease feeling resentment against me (the offender) and to no longer hold a claim for payment on my behalf. God has granted forgiveness to me on the basis of Jesus' death on the cross. His blood paid the entire penalty of my sin and the sin of the world.

I have been taken back by this word due to a song that I heard with this title: FORGIVEN. The song says, "No matter what I've done, no matter who I've been, I'm forgiven."

Isaiah tells us why - Jesus was wounded, bruised, and punished for us. God unleashed His fury against sin on His own Son! Wounded - mortally, Bruised - intently, Punished - severely. Jesus took it all and God didn't hold anything back.

Now you know why Romans 5:8 says that "God demonstrated His own love for us that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us." WOUNDED - BRUISED - PUNISHED. And to go another step further, Isaiah said that "by His stripes we are healed." The wounds on His hands and feet = for us! The crown of thorns upon His head = for us! The stripes across His back, the punches and spit in the face, the plucking of His beard, and the piercing of His side = for us!

FORGIVEN!

I'm FORGIVEN!

You need to know that this is how God sees you. In regards to your relationship with Him, you are FORGIVEN.

I pray that the weight of this word grip your heart today.

No comments: