Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Nothing Like a Good Fight (I guess)


It's been long enough! I haven't taken any personal time for the blog in a while, so be prepared. Neal is walking over to his soapbox...ready...set...go!

I posted a song on my Facebook page yesterday. "From the Top of My Lungs" by Phillips, Craig, and Dean seemed appropriate. Personally, I hadn't heard the song in a while and when I played it - WOW! So I gladly posted the song w/ lyrics onto my profile and watched the notifications light up. This person "liked" my link, then another, and another, and...well you get the point. It was only after I went to my profile page that I found a comment under the link. LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!

It seems to me that there has been a little controversy surrounding this group because they are from a particular denomination with a certain set of beliefs that I was unfamiliar with. This friend of mine thought it was necessary to "call them out" openly. I politely deleted the comment and sent him a message.

Here's my point: Who crowned any of us the sole possessors of truth? I'm not saying that I have the same set of beliefs but is it worth making an open statement? What irritates me is that we can handle these things so much differently. My suggestion to this friend and many others is to email me with comments so that my friends don't have to watch the discussion progress (or digress).

Don't get me wrong. I have some very FIRM convictions that will not change (unless God changes them). I know what I believe about God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I know what I believe about Salvation, Humanity, and Eternity. I shouldn't have to spend my time defending the beliefs of others because I enjoy one of their songs. AMEN? I thought you would agree with me!

I never see the "truth police" attack or comment on any other songs/videos that are posted. But as soon as we post something about God, the church, or our own beliefs - get ready. I was actually de-friended on Facebook by a fundamentalist who kept thumping his beliefs on my page. Over and over again he would start an argument with me or anyone else who was willing to fight. I'm just curious as to what would happen if we took this same zeal and went into our communities to share the gospel?

Nothing like a good fight! At least that's what some people think. Listen to the words of Paul to Titus: "But avoid foolish disputes, genealogies, contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and useless." (Titus 3:9) We have a choice in all of this. We can handle it responsibly or we can do what the world expects us to do: come out swinging.

It wasn't too long ago that I was preaching at a church when the "KJV Police" showed up to check my license and registration. The sad part was that I knew it was coming. I could see him sitting over there discussing this whole thing with his son. Sure enough! As soon as the service was over he had to come and ask me what translation I was preaching from. The thought came to my mind: "Really? This fight has been going on since I was a kid." I tried to be respectful...TRIED.

I read this quote the other day and believe it fits what I'm sharing: "Be strong in your convictions, but always put out the welcome mat of grace." Good advice!

No comments: