Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Tuesday - No Snow


Well, it's Tuesday - the kids are out of school because of the weather...there's only one problem - no snow.

This could lead me into a discussion on our reliance upon government provided transportation for our kids to school...however, I'm not going to "officially" visit that subject today. I'll just say this: If the kids are going to be out of school for snow "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow."

For the people who know me personally, you know that I enjoy hunting. This past Saturday I was hunting with a cousin and was able to use one of his lock-on stands. This was rather refreshing for me because the last couple of times in the woods I had taken my boy. This typically means hunting on the ground or in a blind. This also means trying to decipher the different noises in the woods. Was that a squirrel or was that Hayden rubbing his boots together? Get the point? Don't get me wrong - I love sharing my passion for hunting with him, however, it is always nice to go out and enjoy the "calm" of nature (before I disrupt all that silence with the sound of my rifle...LOL...).

As I was sitting in the stand this past weekend I was overlooking a beautiful scene. I could see all around and was anywhere from 25-30 ft. off the ground. I thought about David referring to God as his High Tower. Now without doing significant research on the military advantages of a high tower I can think of some basic assurances of it's meaning.

God as my high tower gives me:
The ability to be above my problems.
The ability to see so much more than I can on the ground.
A place of refuge and safety.

If you have been a believer of any length of time you can appreciate the need to be above the problems of everyday life. Having God as my high tower elevates me to a peace that is beyond comprehension. While most people have to live among their problems, I am able to take refuge from the despairs of life...I am able to see things from God's perspective and I can assure you that my "problems" look much different from His perspective than my own (on the ground).

I recently spoke to some believers about a very serious problem they are facing. Now, don't get me wrong, they still have their problems. But what a difference faith in the Lord can make. It's good to know that "all things work together for good to them who love the Lord and are the called according to His purpose." It's good to know that "He who has begun a good work in me will complete it...". God offers us peace in the midst of life's storms, joy in the midst of pain, and abundant life in the midst of despair. Over and over again I find that God always turn my "mourning into dancing" and I'm able to trade in the "garment of sadness for the garment of praise."

I mentioned earlier that my kids are out of school for snow when there is no snow...well, you may be experiencing s similar situation spiritually. You have been told about the peace and joy that should be yours but you are not "feeling" it. Find your strength and your refuge in the Lord. He will give you what you need in this time. You may not be able to play in the snow but you can know that He is with you.

Have a blessed week.

2 comments:

Launch International said...

Simple...refreshing...good! I liked the high tower stuff!

Anonymous said...

That is so encouraging and put in the average JOE terms. He always lets us DANCE. Thank you for all that you do Neal.