Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Dress for Success


I want to assure my reading audience that today's blog is not about fashion. If there is one thing my wife will tell you about me is that I am not fashion conscience. I'm BIG into t-shirts, jeans, shorts...comfort clothes. If I see something I like and think it would be comfortable to wear - it's mine. However, you rarely this pastor in a suit because it's just not me.

There is a bit of clothing that I do want to recommend to all of you: the armor of God. Ephesians 6:10-18 gives us a description of the armor that a believer should be dressed in everyday. Rather than post the entire reference here I will give a detail list:

Belt of Truth

Breastplate of Righteousness

Gospel of Peace Shoes

Shield of Faith

Helmet of Salvation

Sword of the Spirit

This line of clothing may not put you on the latest runway but it will provide the adequate protection needed when in the line of fire. Think about the necessities that God gives through this armor. You have the truth to support you, righteousness to cover your heart and vital organs, shoes which are adequate to carry the Gospel wherever He leads you, a shield and helmet to protect you, and a sword to fight back.

God has got you covered in this line of clothing. When you are fully equipped then you will be able to fight the good fight of faith. You will be able to carry out any assigned mission that God gives. And should you come under attack (which you probably will), then you can defend yourself appropriately. I personally love the shield of faith which is able to protect against the fiery darts of the enemy. I also love the sword of the Spirit which is the word of God. There is no sharper two-edged sword in the world.

You have heard from other about how we need to dress for success in this world. If you want to go anywhere in the corporate world you would not wear a jogging suit (as Seinfeld says, "It tells the world I have given up." The same holds true in the spiritual world as well. When you and I are clothed in the armor of God we will be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. I believe it's a great practice for believers to spend time in prayer every morning and actually visualize themselves being clothed spiritually for the day ahead. Why not? How many of you spend countless minutes every morning pouring over the closet trying to find something to wear? Why not do the same for your spiritual life?

And once you are fully clothed be reminded of another element of victory: prayer. If you plan on dressing like an overcomer then you must understand the necessity of praying always "with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit". Adding prayer to your wardrobe is like putting on cologne - it becomes your fragrance of choice throughout the day. Oh, how well pleasing our aroma is to God when we add prayer to our daily lives.

Hey believer...don't run around naked!

No comments: