Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Is it O.K. to laugh in church?

Let me ask you a SERIOUS question: Is it o.k. to laugh in church?
Answer: I hope so.

Charles Swindoll wrote a wonderful book several years ago entitled "Laugh Again" to help believers experience outrageous joy. It is a great read that covers a very interesting subject within the church. Allow me to share with you some of the chapter titles: Your smile increases your face value, Laughing through life's dilemmas, Hanging tough together and loving it, and freeing yourself up to laugh again.

Swindoll's introduction says it all: "Can you remember when life was joyful? I certainly can. Without knowledge of the Dow index or the drop in the gross national product or the accelerating crime rate in twenty-five of America's largest cities or the decreasing health-care benefits in our country's major companies, I was happy as a clam. I neither expected much nor needed much. Life was meant to be be enjoyed, not endured, and therefore every day I found something - anything - to laugh about...through my childlike eyes people were funny. (When did they stop being funny?)...(When did everything get so serious?)...(Why have families stopped making music together?)...In many homes - dare I say most? - laughter has left. Joy that was once a vital ingredient in family life has departed, leaving hearts that seldom sin, lips that rarely smile, eyes that no longer dance, and faces that say no. Tragically, this is true in Christian homes as well as non-Christian...maybe more so."

Philippians 4:4 tells us to "Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!"

Allow me to share some humor with you today as I seek to bring joy to your heart and hopefully a smile to your face.

Church bulletin bloopers:
"This afternoon there will be a meeting in the north and south ends of the church. Children will be baptized at both ends."

"The choir will be participating in the local community sing, which is open to everyone. They will be sinning at 6:00pm this Sunday."

"There will be a sin-in at the Johnsons' home this evening, immediately following the pastor's message, "Intimate Fellowship."

"Solo: 'There is a Bomb in Gilead'"

"Order of Service: Silent Prayer and Medication"

"Pastor Brown will marry his son next Sunday morning."

Letters to the pastor (from children of course):
"Dear Pastor,
I know God loves everybody, but He never met my sister.
Yours sincerely,
Arnold"

"Dear Paster,
My Father couldn't give more $$money$$ to the chrch. HE is a good chrischen but has a cheap boss.
Ronald"

These stories are shared with you to help you understand that there is plenty to laugh about. Whether there are stories about children, misprints, or just funny events; it's o.k. to laugh. With that I add: it's o.k. to laugh at church. It's good for God's people to laugh together.

Proverbs 17:22, "A merry heart does good like medicine..."

No comments: