Tuesday, December 9, 2008

I know it's not spiritual but...


Steelers beat the Cowboys 20-13 this past Sunday. It wasn't pretty but it is a "W". I will say that as a fan much of this game was very hard to watch. A 3-3 tie at halftime. Then to go down by 10 in the 3rd quarter...I was already thinking about how I was going to have to give congrats to my friends who like the Cowboys (Ugh). But the Steelers fought back and won the game.

I have been a Steelers fan since the early 70's. That was a good time to start! I was probably about 5 years old when I made that choice, and like a lot of things in life it stuck.

There is just so much about this team that I like: Hard nosed smash mouth football, relentless defense, and a blue collar work ethic. I have always been impressed with how the Rooney family continually puts out a strong football team with little regard to "big name" players. Oh sure, they have some household names on this team but it's usually because of what they have accomplished as a member of this football team.

Like most of you I grew up a a lower middle class family. We had to work hard for everything we had. If necessary you would get up everyday and fight with everything you had just to make ends meet. You may have been tired at the end of the day but it was always worth it. Maybe that is why the Steelers have always appealed to me. They have always worked hard to be the best and to beat the best.

I do have to thank Tony Romo for having a horrible game. I'm especially thankful for the 4th quarter interception he threw to allow us to go up by a touchdown.

I know this has nothing to do with eternity but it sure helps get the week off to a great start. I hope that all of you (even the Cowboy fans) will look for the "good things" in life this week. As the holiday season is upon us we can easily allow the fun of family and friends to be crowded out with schedules and shopping. Take some time to enjoy the life that God has given you. I will say this: If the Steelers would have lost my life would have still been blessed.

Thanks for letting me share.

No comments: