Thursday, September 11, 2008

We Remember


9/11/2001 AD - Can you believe it's been seven years since that horrible day? I still remember riding in a delivery van listening to the scene unfold after the first tower was hit. I also remember sitting in front of the TV later that evening thinking what kind of a world my children had been thrust into.

The above picture is the only clipping that I retained after the 9/11 tragedy. It's still one of the most symbolic pictures that can be found. As the Star Spangled Banner is played throughout this day - it was true on September 11 2001 - our flag was still there.

This is not a day for politics but rather a day to remember the families of those who lost their lives. It's a day to remember the heroism of firefighters and other emergency workers, public safety officials, and regular men and women. It's a day to once again retain the resolve that this nation portrayed after the worst attack in history on American soil. Even today we hear of a new offensive to find those responsible and to rid ourselves of those who seek to impose fear and death upon this country. Good! I just hope that the people of this nation will remember the pain and anger we felt 7 years ago.

I still find myself being moved to tears as we relive those moments. I still find myself praying for the president of our nation as he does what he can to ensure the defense of the United States. I also find myself thankful that for seven years we have not seen another attack on our soil.

May we never forget and may we never give up.

This morning, as I was reading God's Word, I came across 2 Kings 9 when Elisha called one of the sons of the prophets to go and anoint Jehu as King of Israel. The reason for this anointing was to strike down the house of Ahab because of the wickedness done against God's people. I then went over to Psalm 108 and it was during the last verse that I gained great comfort, "Through God we will do valiantly, for it is He who shall tread down our enemies."

On this day, let us not forget to pray for the men and women who are fighting against the enemies of this country. As God allows we will continue to see the defeat of our enemies. Through God we will be able as a country to do valiantly. And my prayer during this time is that we will soon hear of the defeat of those responsible for 9/11. We owe it to our nation (believers) to pray like never before. Our victory in this battle is important for our generation and the ones to follow.

May God grant wisdom to our leaders.
May God grant victory to the men and women who fight for this country.
May God grant peace to the United States of America.

We Remember.

No comments: